E&M: Gauss' Law Surface Charge Density

Wmdajt
Homework Statement
A charge of uniform linear density 2.8nC/m is distributed along a long, thin, nonconducting rod. The rod is coaxial with a long conducting cylindrical shell (inner radius =4.8 cm, outer radius =9.40 cm). The net charge on the shell is zero. (a) What is the magnitude of the electric field 14.2 cm from the axis of the shell? What is the surface charge density on the (b) inner and (c) the outer surface of the shell?
Relevant Equations
E=λ/(2πε0r)
ε0ϕ = q
In this question I need to find the inner and outer charge density of the shell I did part A just fine, I used the formula for an electric field due to a line charge, but parts B and C is what's really confusing me. I'm not really sure how to go about it, I placed a spherical gaussian surface inside of the shell which gives me a flux of E*π*r^2. I didn't have a reason to attempt this, I was just seeing where it would take me. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Capture.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
Wmdajt said:
Homework Statement: A charge of uniform linear density 2.8nC/m is distributed along a long, thin, nonconducting rod. The rod is coaxial with a long conducting cylindrical shell (inner radius =4.8 cm, outer radius =9.40 cm). The net charge on the shell is zero. (a) What is the magnitude of the electric field 14.2 cm from the axis of the shell? What is the surface charge density on the (b) inner and (c) the outer surface of the shell?
Relevant Equations: E=λ/(2πε0r)
ε0ϕ = q

In this question I need to find the inner and outer charge density of the shell I did part A just fine, I used the formula for an electric field due to a line charge, but parts B and C is what's really confusing me. I'm not really sure how to go about it, I placed a spherical gaussian surface inside of the shell which gives me a flux of E*π*r^2. I didn't have a reason to attempt this, I was just seeing where it would take me. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
What formula did you use? Please show your work and explain how you got E*π*r^2. A spherical Gaussian surface is not appropriate for a long wire. Do you see why?

kuruman said:
What formula did you use? Please show your work and explain how you got E*π*r^2. A spherical Gaussian surface is not appropriate for a long wire. Do you see why?
I just figured it out! I understand why a spherical Gaussian surface isn't appropriate, the way I drew my diagram was confusing me. I should've used a cylindrical surface. Negative charge is attracted to the inner wall of the shell equal to the amount of charge on the rod. From there I found the charge on the rod and divided it with the inner surface of the cylinder.

Wmdajt said:
From there I found the charge on the rod and divided it with the inner surface of the cylinder.
I don't understand this part. You are given the linear charge density on the rod. You do not explain how you found the charge density on the outer surface of the cylinder.

kuruman said:
I don't understand this part. You are given the linear charge density on the rod. You do not explain how you found the charge density on the outer surface of the cylinder.
Sorry, I wrote that in a bit of a hurry! I'll clarify.
The charge on the inner surface of the shell is the same as the opposite charge of the rod because the flux inside of a conductor must be zero.

qi = -q, Where qi is the charge of the inner shell surface and q is the charge of the rod

Charge density is defined as follows:
σ = qi/A
Charge is only on the surface of the shell due to it being a conductor, so we use the surface area of the body of a cylinder
σ = -q/(2πrh)

We clarified the outer shell charge is the same as the rod, we can find the charge using linear charge density
q = λh

Putting it all together in the equation above yields charge density of the outer surface of the shell
σ = -λ/(2πr)

The same formula is used for part C because the net charge in the shell is 0, so:
qo = qi = q, where qo is charge of the outer shell

1. What is Gauss' Law and how does it relate to surface charge density?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. This law is applicable to any type of charge distribution, including surface charge density.

2. How is surface charge density defined and calculated?

Surface charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit area on a surface. It is typically denoted by the Greek letter sigma (σ) and has units of coulombs per square meter (C/m^2). It can be calculated by dividing the total charge on a surface by the area of that surface.

3. What are some real-world applications of Gauss' Law and surface charge density?

Gauss' Law and surface charge density have many practical applications in various fields, including electronics, electrostatics, and electromagnetism. They are used to analyze and design electrical circuits, capacitors, and other electronic devices. They are also important in understanding the behavior of lightning and the Earth's electric field.

4. How does surface charge density affect the electric field around a charged surface?

Surface charge density is directly related to the electric field around a charged surface. The higher the surface charge density, the stronger the electric field will be. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the surface charge density and inversely proportional to the permittivity of free space.

5. Can Gauss' Law be used to calculate the electric field for any type of charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be used to calculate the electric field for any type of charge distribution, including surface charge density. However, it is most useful for calculating the electric field for symmetrical charge distributions, such as a uniformly charged sphere or cylinder. For more complex charge distributions, other methods such as Coulomb's Law or integration may be necessary.