Average intensity problem? related to EM waves?

In summary, the helium-neon lasers in lab have an average power of 0.85 mW and produce light waves with a diameter of 1.1 mm at a distance of 1.0 m from the laser. The average intensity of the laser beam at this distance is calculated by dividing the power by the area, which is pi times (1.1mm/2)^2. The maximum electric field at this distance can be solved for using the equation I= 0.5 εo c E^2. The given distance of 1.0 m is necessary in order to accurately calculate the maximum electric field, as the intensity at other distances may vary.
waterbottle12

Homework Statement

The helium-neon lasers that we use in lab produce light waves with an average power
of 0.85 mW. Suppose that at a distance of 1.0 m from the laser the beam has a diameter
of 1.1 mm. a) What is the average intensity of the laser beam 1.0 m from the laser? b)
What is the maximum electric field 1.0 m from the laser?

Homework Equations

I = Energy/ (area x time)

I= 0.5 (circly E with subscript o) x c x E^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I think its just power divided by area with area being pi times (1.1mm/2)^2
because Power is just energy over time. just double checking
b. when I say circly E thing I mean permitivity of free space (I'm sure that's spelled wrong)
and I just plug into solve for E right?...but than why did the question give "distance of 1.0 m from the laser"...is it just like superfluous info?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

waterbottle12 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I think its just power divided by area with area being pi times (1.1mm/2)^2
because Power is just energy over time. just double checking
b. when I say circly E thing I mean permitivity of free space (I'm sure that's spelled wrong)
and I just plug into solve for E right?...but than why did the question give "distance of 1.0 m from the laser"...is it just like superfluous info?

Yes, you are entirely correct for both parts.

For (b), they tell you it's at 1.0 m from the laser because you know what the intensity is at that distance. At other distances, the intensity can be something else (because the beam diameter can be different) and therefore you can't figure out what E is.

p.s. To type εo you can copy-and-paste this: [noparse]εo[/noparse]

1. What is the average intensity problem when it comes to electromagnetic waves?

The average intensity problem refers to the calculation of the average intensity of an electromagnetic wave, which is the amount of energy per unit area that is being transmitted. This problem arises because the intensity of an electromagnetic wave can vary greatly depending on factors like direction, distance, and the properties of the medium through which the wave is passing.

2. Why is it important to calculate the average intensity of an electromagnetic wave?

Calculating the average intensity allows us to understand the amount of energy being transmitted by an electromagnetic wave, which is crucial in many applications such as telecommunications, satellite communication, and medical imaging. It also helps us to determine the potential effects of the wave on living organisms and the environment.

3. How is the average intensity of an electromagnetic wave calculated?

The average intensity of an electromagnetic wave is calculated by taking the time-averaged value of the square of the electric or magnetic field strength of the wave. This can be expressed using mathematical equations and depends on the wavelength, amplitude, and frequency of the wave.

4. What are some challenges in solving the average intensity problem for electromagnetic waves?

One of the main challenges in solving this problem is the complex nature of electromagnetic waves. They can interact with different materials and travel through various mediums, making it difficult to calculate the average intensity accurately. Additionally, the mathematical equations used to calculate the average intensity can be quite complicated, requiring advanced knowledge of calculus and physics.

5. How can the average intensity problem be overcome?

To overcome the average intensity problem, scientists and researchers use advanced mathematical models and computer simulations. These allow for a more precise calculation of the average intensity by taking into account various factors that may affect the wave. Additionally, advancements in technology have also helped in accurately measuring the intensity of electromagnetic waves in real-time, making it easier to solve the average intensity problem.