How many photons are there in a 1 m long He-Ne laser beam?

In summary, a He-Ne laser with a wavelength of 632.8 nm, a beam diameter of 2.0 mm, and a power output of 1.0 mW has an intensity of 79.577 W/m, a momentum of 1.047 x 10^-27 kg.m/s for each photon, and emits 7.15 x 10^44 photons per second. The number of photons in a 1 m long laser beam can be calculated using the time it takes for the beam to travel 1 m.
manaXmizery

Homework Statement

A He-Ne laser emits red light of the wave length lambda =632.8 nm with a beam diameter of 2.0 mm and a power output of 1.0 mW. (a) What is the intensity of this laser beam? (b) What is the magnitude of the momentum of each photon? (c) How many photons does this laser emit each second? (d) How many photons are there in the 1 m long laser beam?

Homework Equations

I = P/A

N = P/E

P= h/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I = P/A

Hence , I = 0.001 / 4*pi*(0.001) = 79.577 W/m

(b) P = h / lambda = 1.047 *10^-27 kg.m/s

(c) E = h*lambda/c = 1.398 * 10^-48 J

N = P/E = 7.15 * 10^44 photons / second

(d) I am not sure if the 1 m here is referring to the wavelength or the length - can anyone explain it to me ? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
manaXmizery said:
(d) I am not sure if the 1 m here is referring to the wavelength or the length - can anyone explain it to me ?
In (c), you have calculated the amount of photons traversing any perpendicular plane along the propagation direction. Fix a plane somewhere in the beam, in one second there are N (whose value you have calculated) photons going in. Then place a second plane 1 m apart from the first one. With the knowledge of the time needed by a beam of light to travel 1 m distance, you should be able to calculate the amount of photons traversing into the first plane (or equivalently traversing out of the second plane) during the same amount of time. This will be equal to the number of photons contained in a 1 m beam.

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental laws of nature that govern the behavior of these particles and their interactions.

2. How is quantum physics different from classical physics?

Classical physics describes the behavior of objects at a macroscopic level, while quantum physics deals with the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. Classical physics follows a deterministic approach, whereas quantum physics introduces probabilities and uncertainties into the equations.

3. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum physics?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The more precisely we know one of these properties, the less we know about the other.

4. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. This allows for instantaneous communication between the particles, regardless of the distance between them.

5. What are some practical applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has a wide range of practical applications, including quantum computing, cryptography, and precision measurements. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as lasers, transistors, and medical imaging devices.