Average velocity of a particle

In summary, Halc used the equation ##v_{avg} = \frac{1}{2}\Delta t - 6## to solve for the average velocity. However, he got -4 ft/s.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1682484540942.png

The solution to (a)(i) is 0 ft/s. However I got -4 ft/s.

The formula I used was,
##v_{avg} = \frac{s_f - s_i}{t_f - t_i}##
##v_{avg} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}t^2_f - 6t_f + 23 - \frac{1}{2}t^2_i - 6t_i + 23}{t_f - t_i}##
##v_{avg} = \frac{ \frac{1}{2}(t^2_f - t^2_i) - 6(t_f - t_i)}{t_f - t_i}##

If someone could please point out what I did wrong, that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just plug in the times in question to get the two positions in question? All the algebra seems unnecessary.

That aside, I don't see where the -4 comes from. Your bottom line seems correct.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker, ChiralSuperfields and malawi_glenn
Halc said:
Can't you just plug in the times in question to get the two positions in question? All the algebra seems unnecessary.

That aside, I don't see where the -4 comes from. Your bottom line seems correct.
Thank you for your reply @Halc!

Sorry, my mistake. The formula that I forgot to write above was ## v_{avg} = \frac{1}{2}\Delta t - 6## because I mistakenly cancelled some of the change in times.

Many thanks!

1) You should include some parenthesis in your second line where you have substituted for ##s_i##.
ChiralSuperfields said:
The formula that I forgot to write above was ## v_{avg} = \frac{1}{2}\Delta t - 6##
2) This looks wrong to me. I think it should be ##v_{avg} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}(t_f+t_i)(t_f-t_i) - 6(t_f-t_i)}{(t_f-t_i)}= \frac{1}{2}(t_f+t_i) - 6##.
3) You could always follow the advice @Halc gave in post #2 of just calculating the initial and final positions. At least use that to check your algebra.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
##v_{avg} = \frac{ \frac{1}{2}(t^2_f - t^2_i) - 6(t_f - t_i)}{t_f - t_i}##

If someone could please point out what I did wrong, that would be much appreciated.
Formula seems correct. Did you simply forget the ##1\over 2## ?

[edit] never mind :smile:

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
##v_{avg} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}t^2_f - 6t_f + 23 - \frac{1}{2}t^2_i - 6t_i + 23}{t_f - t_i}##
Typo: Missing parentheses around the ##t_i## terms, leading to wrong signs.
ChiralSuperfields said:
The formula that I forgot to write above was ## v_{avg} = \frac{1}{2}\Delta t - 6##
What is ##\frac{x^2-y^2}{x-y}##?

Likes ChiralSuperfields, FactChecker and jbriggs444
FactChecker said:
1) You should include some parenthesis in your second line where you have substituted for ##s_i##.

2) This looks wrong to me. I think it should be ##v_{avg} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}(t_f+t_i)(t_f-t_i) - 6(t_f-t_i)}{(t_f-t_i)}= \frac{1}{2}(t_f+t_i) - 6##.
3) You could always follow the advice @Halc gave in post #2 of just calculating the initial and final positions. At least use that to check your algebra.
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker ! I agree.

BvU said:
Formula seems correct. Did you simply forget the ##1\over 2## ?

[edit] never mind :smile:
haruspex said:
Typo: Missing parentheses around the ##t_i## terms, leading to wrong signs.

What is ##\frac{x^2-y^2}{x-y}##?
Thank you for your replies @BvU and @haruspex!

Yes, sorry I forgot the parentheses. ##\frac{(x + y)(x - y)}{x - y} = x + y##

Many thanks!

1. What is the definition of average velocity?

The average velocity of a particle is the displacement of the particle divided by the time interval during which the displacement occurs.

2. How is average velocity different from instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated over a specific time interval, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time.

3. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the displacement of the particle is in the opposite direction of its initial position. This indicates that the particle is moving in the negative direction.

4. How is average velocity represented on a position-time graph?

The average velocity of a particle can be represented by the slope of a line connecting the initial and final positions on a position-time graph.

5. What is the SI unit for average velocity?

The SI unit for average velocity is meters per second (m/s).