Averaging Initial & Endstates in Trace Formula

In summary, the question is how to average density matrices in the trace formula when experiments are repeated and results are averaged. The proposed approach is to use ##\rho=\sum_i p_i|\phi_i\rangle\langle\phi_i|## with ##p_i=\langle\phi_i|\Psi\rangle\langle\Psi|\phi_i\rangle##, where ##\rho_{init}## is the initial density matrix. This leads to considering a Bell type experiment with the Copenhagen interpretation, where ##\langle\Psi|A\otimes B|\Psi\rangle## is for 1 photon output for Psi the singlet state, and ##\sum_i A(a,\lambda_i)B(b,\lambda_i)##
jk22
Basically the question is : since the experiments are repeated and results averaged, should not initial and endstates be mixed states ?

So now we should give two density matrices, so how do we average like in the trace formula : ##\langle A\rangle=tr(\rho A)## ?

Is it ##\rho=\sum_i p_i|\phi_i\rangle\langle\phi_i|## with ##p_i=\langle\phi_i\underbrace{|\Psi\rangle\langle\Psi|}_{\rho_{init}?}\phi_i\rangle##

So that now ##\rho_{init}## were the initial density matrix and hence shall be written as one of a mixed state too with now unknow probabilities ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your initial state changes from repetition to repetition that sounds like a possible approach.
You average over the initial state and sum over all final states you consider to be the same outcome.

Likes jk22
Hence if we consider a Bell type experiment and we apply the Copenhagen interpretation, then ##\langle\Psi|A\otimes B|\Psi\rangle## is for 1 photon output for Psi the singlet state.

But the formula ##\sum_i A(a,\lambda_i)B(b,\lambda_i)## would in fact mean an average about several photon output. Thus the quantum system has a pure state initially and the measured end statistics would correspond to a mixed state ?

Related to Averaging Initial & Endstates in Trace Formula

1. What is the purpose of averaging initial and endstates in trace formula?

The purpose of averaging initial and endstates in trace formula is to calculate the average value of a physical quantity over a given time period. This helps in understanding the overall behavior of a system and can provide insights into the underlying dynamics.

2. How is the average initial and endstate calculated in trace formula?

The average initial and endstate is calculated by taking the sum of all initial and endstate values and dividing it by the total number of values. This gives the mean value, which is the average initial and endstate in trace formula.

3. What are the applications of averaging initial and endstates in trace formula?

Averaging initial and endstates in trace formula has various applications in different fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It is used to study the behavior of complex systems, analyze experimental data, and predict future trends.

4. Can averaging initial and endstates in trace formula be used for non-linear systems?

Yes, averaging initial and endstates in trace formula can be used for non-linear systems. However, the calculation may be more complex and require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to averaging initial and endstates in trace formula?

One limitation of averaging initial and endstates in trace formula is that it assumes a constant rate of change over the entire time period. This may not be accurate for systems with highly variable behavior. Additionally, it may not capture the full complexity of the system and may overlook important details.