Averaging over random potential of impurities

In summary, the statement "averaging over the random potential of impurities make the theory translationally invariant both in time and space" means that the expected value of the potential for impurities is not affected by the location in space or time. This is due to the large number of scatterings from impurities in all directions, which eliminates any preferred directions in space. To understand this concept more concretely, it is important to define the population being sampled and their homogeneity in order to make useful inferences.
AJS2011
Hey,

In doing calculations on superconductors, I often hear that people say "averaging over the random potential of impurities make the theory translationally invariant both in time and space".

I do not exactly understand it? Could you please explain it through a simple example or by citing a readable reference?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AJS2011 said:
Hey,

In doing calculations on superconductors, I often hear that people say "averaging over the random potential of impurities make the theory translationally invariant both in time and space".

I do not exactly understand it? Could you please explain it through a simple example or by citing a readable reference?

Thanks a lot!

I can't address specific issues with superconductors, but in general the statement means location in space and time does not affect the statistical expected value of the "potential" for impurities. That is, the expected value is invariant with respect to translation in space and independent of time (at least within some understood context). Specifically, the expected value would be the mean of a suitably large sample (or multiple samples) of measurements of concentrations of impurities in specific semiconductors.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
I can't address specific issues with superconductors, but in general the statement means location in space and time does not affect the statistical expected value of the "potential" for impurities. That is, the expected value is invariant with respect to translation in space and independent of time (at least within some understood context).

Thanks, SW VandeCarr! Intuitively, I understand that because of huge number of scatterings from impurities in all directions, preferred directions in space disappear; however I do not see how it can happen in mathematics through a concrete example.

AJS2011 said:
Thanks, SW VandeCarr! Intuitively, I understand that because of huge number of scatterings from impurities in all directions, preferred directions in space disappear; however I do not see how it can happen in mathematics through a concrete example.

I anticipated your response and edited my previous post. Just speaking generally,an average is based on data, not theory. You also need to define as precisely as possible the "population" being sampled in terms of homogeneity so that you can make useful inferences. Are you talking about all superconductors? I would think the distribution of concentrations of impurities might vary by type, processing etc.

Last edited:

What is "averaging over random potential of impurities"?

"Averaging over random potential of impurities" refers to the process of calculating the average effect of randomly distributed impurities on a physical system.

Why is it important to average over random potential of impurities?

Averaging over random potential of impurities is important because it allows us to understand the overall behavior of a system in the presence of impurities, which can greatly affect the system's properties and performance.

How is the average potential of impurities calculated?

The average potential of impurities is calculated by taking the sum of the individual potentials of each impurity and dividing it by the total number of impurities present in the system.

What factors can influence the average potential of impurities?

The average potential of impurities can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the concentration and distribution of impurities, the type of impurities, and the properties of the material in which the impurities are present.

Is averaging over random potential of impurities applicable to all physical systems?

Yes, averaging over random potential of impurities is applicable to all physical systems as long as they contain randomly distributed impurities that can affect the system's properties.