Avg force produced by gasoline

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of average force produced by one gallon of gasoline based on its potential energy and the distance it can move a car. The equations for average force are mentioned, but the solution is found by using work = force * distance. The final answer is 3220.8 J/m (or N).
teremala

Homework Statement

"One gallon of gasoline contains 3.1*10^7 calories of potential energy that are released during combustion. If 1 gal of gasoline can provide the force that moves a car through a displacement of 25 mi, what is the average force produced by the gasoline?"

Homework Equations

This is where I am confused. All of the equations I can think of for average force require velocities, mass, time, etc. and I don't see how to get from here to there. Right now I am just using 1 cal = 4.18 Joules and 1 mi = 1609.3 m.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming complete efficiency,
3.1*10^7 cal / 25 mi = 1.24 * 10^6 cal / mi
then multiply that by 4.18 Joules/1 cal and by 1 mi/1609.3 m to get 3220.8 J/m (or N).

This could of course be multiplied back out to "work", but that strikes strikes me as circular. I just don't know if the answer I have is reasonable/what the question wants, since it's flagged as difficult and I haven't done anything but convert units. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
See what you can do with: work = force * distance.

Thanks, that was what the professor said too. As far as I can tell though work=f*d was already accounted for when I averaged calories/mile. In any case, this was the correct answer.

1. What is the average force produced by gasoline?

The average force produced by gasoline depends on several factors, such as the type and quality of gasoline, the engine design, and driving conditions. However, on average, a gallon of gasoline can produce up to 33,000 foot-pounds of energy, which is equivalent to 115,000 joules of work. This energy is then converted into force by the engine to power the vehicle.

2. How is the average force of gasoline calculated?

The average force of gasoline is calculated by multiplying the energy produced by the gasoline by the distance traveled. This provides the work done by the gasoline, which is then divided by the time it takes for the distance to be covered. This calculation can vary depending on the specific engine and vehicle being used.

3. Can the average force produced by gasoline be increased?

Yes, the average force produced by gasoline can be increased by using a higher quality gasoline, optimizing the engine design, and improving driving habits. For example, using premium gasoline with a higher octane rating can increase the force produced by the engine, resulting in better performance and efficiency.

4. Does the average force produced by gasoline differ for different types of vehicles?

Yes, the average force produced by gasoline can differ for different types of vehicles. For example, a heavy-duty truck will require more force to move compared to a smaller passenger car. Additionally, the engine design and fuel efficiency of the vehicle can also impact the average force produced by gasoline.

5. How does the average force of gasoline affect a vehicle's performance?

The average force produced by gasoline directly affects a vehicle's performance, as it is responsible for powering the engine and moving the vehicle. Higher forces can result in better acceleration, top speed, and overall performance. However, it is important to balance force with fuel efficiency to ensure optimal performance and reduce negative impacts on the environment.