Magnitude of the average force during a collision

In summary: Magnitude of average force will be equal to rate of change of momentum. And average force will act in the direction of change of momentum.In summary, the question involves a 0.170-kg baseball pitched horizontally at 36.0 m/s and striking a bat, popping straight up to a height of 36.0 m with a contact time of 2.0 ms. The task is to calculate the magnitude of the average force between the ball and bat during contact. Using the equations for average force and initial kinetic energy being equal to final potential energy, the expression for velocity of the ball after the collision is found. Plugging in the known values, the magnitude of the average force is calculated to be 800.98
Jay232323

Homework Statement

A 0.170-kg baseball pitched horizontally at 36.0 m/s strikes a bat and is popped straight up to a height of 36.0 m. If the contact time between bat and ball is 2.0 ms, calculate the magnitude of the average force between the ball and bat during contact.

##m_b=0.17kg##
##v=36.0m/s##
##h=36.0m##
##t=0.002s##

Homework Equations

##F_{avg}=\frac {\Delta p} {\Delta t}##

##KE_i=PE_f##

The Attempt at a Solution

Working with the first equation to get a form that uses the variables I've got.

##F_{avg}=\frac {\Delta p} {\Delta t}=\frac {p_f-p_i} {\Delta t}=\frac {m_bv'-m_bv} {\Delta t}=\frac {m_b(v'-v)} {\Delta t}##

Doing the same with the second equation, I can find an expression for the velocity of the ball after the collision.

##KE_i=PE_f##

##\frac 1 2 m_b(v')^2=m_bgh##

##v'=\sqrt {2gh}##

Plugging that back into the equation for the average force, I get

##F_{avg}=\frac {m_b(\sqrt {2gh}-v)} {\Delta t}##

Hey, I know all of those values!

##F_{avg}=\frac {(0.17)(\sqrt {2*9.81*36}-36)} {0.002}=-800.98N##

And since we're only concerned about the magnitude

##F_{avg}=800.98N##

The answer that I should be getting is

##F_{avg}=3800N##

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Vectors!

(Welcome to PF)

Likes CWatters
Note that momentum final initial and force are all vector quantities. So be careful in calculating change of momentum its direction and magnitude.

Likes CWatters

1. What is the magnitude of the average force during a collision?

The magnitude of the average force during a collision is the amount of force exerted on an object over a specific period of time during a collision. It is typically measured in Newtons (N) and represents the strength of the impact between two objects.

2. How is the magnitude of the average force during a collision calculated?

The magnitude of the average force during a collision is calculated by dividing the change in momentum by the time interval of the collision. This can be represented by the equation F = Δp/Δt, where F is the average force, Δp is the change in momentum, and Δt is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the average force during a collision?

The magnitude of the average force during a collision can be affected by various factors, such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the duration of the collision, and any external forces acting on the objects.

4. How does the magnitude of the average force during a collision relate to the severity of the impact?

The magnitude of the average force during a collision is directly related to the severity of the impact. The greater the force, the more severe the impact and the more damage that can occur.

5. Can the magnitude of the average force during a collision be reduced?

There are ways to reduce the magnitude of the average force during a collision, such as increasing the duration of the collision, using materials that absorb energy, and implementing safety features like airbags and seatbelts. However, the laws of physics dictate that the magnitude of the force cannot be completely eliminated, only reduced.