Avoiding structure collapse due to dark energy?

Suekdccia
TL;DR Summary
Avoiding structure collapse due to dark energy?
I had a question about this paper (https://arxiv.org/abs/1401.3742)

There, the authors indicate that dark energy competes against gravity in oversdensities and can slow down or even prevent their collapse.

I have a simple question about this:

Galaxies will in principle evaporate their outer layers and their innermost ones will collapse under graviational forces and the relaxation of the orbits around the galactic nucleus through tidal forces and graviational waves emission. However, can there be galaxies (or other structrues) where the "fight" between gravity and dark energy can stabilize these structures indefinetely preventing their evaporation and gravitational collapse (assuming no external perturbations occur) despite the influence of tidal forces, gravitational waves emission...etc?

Space news on Phys.org
Intuitively I would say that the dark energy effect on the distance scale of a single galaxy is too small to prevent the processes you describe. (Note that putting a star on an escape trajectory due to interactions with other stars should be slightly easier in the presence of dark energy.) However, I have not done the math. I'll read the paper you reference when I get a chance to see if there are any relevant calculations in it.

PeterDonis said:
Intuitively I would say that the dark energy effect on the distance scale of a single galaxy is too small to prevent the processes you describe. (Note that putting a star on an escape trajectory due to interactions with other stars should be slightly easier in the presence of dark energy.) However, I have not done the math. I'll read the paper you reference when I get a chance to see if there are any relevant calculations in it.
Thank you. Perhaps this would be more suitable for bigger structures like clusters?

Suekdccia said:
Perhaps this would be more suitable for bigger structures like clusters?
Possibly. However, what I said about putting an object on an escape trajectory would be even more true for a bigger structure. So I don't think dark energy can suppress "evaporation"; instead it should enhance it.

As for gravitational collapse, a bigger structure isn't going to collapse all at once, its collapse will be galaxy by galaxy. So you would have to look at the effects of dark energy on a much smaller scale with regard to collapse. On that scale, it might slow down the collapse by a small amount, but it won't prevent it.

Of course, it's possible that a dark energy equation of state with a ##w## much less than ##-1## might change things; the paper is basically trying to constrain the possible values of ##w## by looking at structure formation and stability. But given that ##w## is within the range they find to be compatible with the structures we see today, I don't think dark energy can significantly change the longer term processes you describe; those processes (at least if we want them to go to completion, i.e., structures like the ones we see today are entirely either evaporated or collapsed) happen on a time scale that we haven't probed yet (the universe isn't old enough), so we can't rule them out just because dark energy is within the range that is consistent with the structures we see today.

1. What is dark energy and how does it relate to structure collapse?

Dark energy is a mysterious form of energy that makes up about 68% of the universe and is believed to be responsible for its accelerated expansion. In the context of structure collapse, dark energy itself doesn’t directly cause physical structures like buildings or bridges to collapse. Instead, the term could metaphorically refer to unseen or poorly understood factors in engineering or material sciences that lead to structural failure.

2. Can dark energy physically affect buildings or other structures on Earth?

No, dark energy has no direct interaction with physical structures on Earth. Its influence is cosmological, meaning it affects the universe on a large scale, primarily visible in the expansion between galaxies. Earthly structures are governed by conventional physics and engineering principles, not by cosmological phenomena like dark energy.

3. What are the typical causes of structure collapse that are often overlooked?

Commonly overlooked causes of structural collapse include inadequate maintenance, flawed design, foundation failures, and unexpected loads or usage. Environmental factors such as corrosion, weather impacts, and ground shifts also play significant roles but are sometimes not given due consideration during planning and maintenance.

4. How can engineers prevent unexpected structural collapses?

Preventing structural collapses involves rigorous design and testing, adherence to safety standards, regular maintenance, and inspection. Engineers must also consider environmental impacts, load capacities, and material fatigue. Using advanced materials and technologies, such as smart sensors for real-time monitoring, can also help predict and prevent potential failures.

5. Are there any new technologies or methods being developed to better understand or mitigate risks associated with structural integrity?

Yes, there are numerous advancements in technology aimed at enhancing structural integrity. These include the use of smart sensors and IoT devices for continuous monitoring of structures, advanced materials like self-healing concrete, and the application of artificial intelligence for predictive maintenance and anomaly detection. These technologies enable earlier identification of potential problems, thereby reducing the risk of collapse.