Aware of being aware neural circuits

In summary, we don't know how awareness arises and we don't know if single neurons can be self-aware.
bluecap
What is the latest technology update on making circuits aware of being aware.. this is to enable understanding of how our neutral circuits are aware of being aware.. what is the most accepted theory about this? Is it Re-entrant loops in the brain?

Biology news on Phys.org
I think the word you want is self-aware, or maybe consciousness. And as you worded your question, I don't believe single neurons can be self-aware. You sound like a programmer/CS person trying to learn neurobiology.

And - I have no idea even how to search for this in scientific literature. Can you give us a starting point? - a science-based article would be a wonderful start. Like the article that got you thinking about this.

Likes Fervent Freyja
jim mcnamara said:
I think the word you want is self-aware, or maybe consciousness. And as you worded your question, I don't believe single neurons can be self-aware. You sound like a programmer/CS person trying to learn neurobiology.

And - I have no idea even how to search for this in scientific literature. Can you give us a starting point? - a science-based article would be a wonderful start. Like the article that got you thinking about this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3753453/

I need further tests and proof of it. The following is an excerpt from the article above:

"It has been proposed that phenomenal experience itself is entailed by appropriate reentrant intracortical activity (Edelman, 1993, 2004; Edelman and Tononi, 1999). Evidence suggests that synchronous exchanges of signals among neuronal groups in dispersed cortical areas correlate with, and bind together, the multiple but distinguishable features of unified, conscious scenes. Moreover, activity dependent alterations in neuronal or synaptic properties over time can give rise to temporally alternating percepts in response to constant sensory input, e.g., binocular rivalry or ambiguous figures (Doesburg et al., 2009; Edelman et al., 2011; Buzsáki and Wang, 2012). Reentry may thus be critical for transformation of sensory neural activity into a stable, consciously reportable percept."

@DiracPool sometimes answers threads in this area. I do not have much expertise except to say it seems to me that the reentrant concept appears to be used used in the Computer Science sense.

Tononi has been working on a theory of consciousness for a while, as have many other authors. But notice all the language is very circumstantial and wishful "may be, could, etc". We have no idea, really, how awareness arises. We, of course, know that a sensor system can detect things and a computer can respond to it. Is that being aware? I guess it depends on how you define it. For instance, there was this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/this...hat-only-humans-could-handle-until-now-2015-7

but this is essentially a processing (i.e. "easy" problem) and it seems to me like your'e asking more about the "hard" problem that includes the experience of being aware. I don't know that it's very genuine for journalists and researcher to refer to the above result as "self awareness" It simply passed the "King's Wisemen" induction test:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_puzzles#Examples

And the reality is, we really don't have a good idea of how awareness arises in the first place. We have a lot of theories coming out of a handful of camps who each champion their camps underlying cause, but none of them are accepted (and most of them don't even dare to use too assertive of language as you saw in your article).

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What are "Aware of being aware neural circuits"?

"Aware of being aware neural circuits" refer to the specific neural pathways and connections in the brain that are responsible for our ability to be conscious of our own awareness or consciousness. These circuits play a crucial role in our ability to reflect on our thoughts, emotions, and experiences.

2. How do these neural circuits work?

These neural circuits involve a complex network of neurons and synapses that communicate with each other to create a sense of self-awareness. They are activated by various stimuli and are constantly receiving and processing information from different parts of the brain.

3. What is the significance of these circuits?

The awareness of being aware neural circuits are essential for our sense of self and consciousness. They allow us to think about our thoughts, emotions, and experiences and make decisions based on them. They also play a role in our ability to empathize and understand the perspectives of others.

4. Can these circuits be manipulated or changed?

Yes, these circuits can be influenced and altered through experiences, learning, and neuroplasticity. For example, meditation and mindfulness practices have been shown to strengthen these circuits and improve self-awareness.

5. Are these circuits present in all animals?

While we cannot definitively say if all animals possess these circuits, research suggests that many mammals and birds have similar brain structures and functions that allow for self-awareness and consciousness. However, the extent and complexity of these circuits may vary among different species.