Axial loads and columns selection

In summary: If that still doesn't work, post your mistake and we can help you figure it out. Thanks!In summary, Emma needs to find a way to calculate the bending stresses for an axial load, which is something she is not sure how to do. Beer and Johnston, a good mechanics book, will show her how to do this. However, even if she gets the units wrong, the answer still comes out to be 3351 cm^4.
Emzielou83
Hi,

I have a question from an engineering science assignment that I'm stuck on.

1. Select the lightest wide flange section that can be used as a steel column 7 m long tosupport an axial load of 450 kN with a factor of safety of 3. Use 200 MPa as the limit of elasticity, 200 GPa as the modulus of elasticity and assume that the column is simply supported.

I have a printout with my assignment of universal columns dimensions and properties. As part of this printout I have the final answer on a answer sheet = Second moment of area, I = 3351 cm^4.

Im not sure if I need to work out bending moments and bending stresses, or if there is a formula to work this out using the figures I have been given.

I have looked in my textbook for this, however as I'm slowly finding out my textbook is not brilliant.

If anyone can help or knows of any good tutorial websites for this it would be a big help.

Thanks

Emma

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you need to calculate bending stresses for an axial load?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't really know what an axial load is!

I can't find it in my textbook. Is it known as something else?

Am I right in thinking the symbol for an axial load is P?

I have looked on the internet but can't seem to find any formulas to work this out.

Thanks

Emma

An axial load is one whose line of action is through the axis. The beam will stretch or compress lengthwise rather than bend.

[STRIKE]So you probably have a transverse load (one perpendicular to the axis), which makes the "simply supported" condition make more sense. Yes, you do need to calculate the maximum bending moment and then calculate the bending stresses as a function of beam shape. Any good mechanics book (e.g., Beer and Johnston) will describe how to do this.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: I missed the description "column" in the original question, which makes it more likely that the load is axial after all. Take nvn's advice below.

Last edited:
Emzielou83: Don't compute the bending stresses. Look for the Euler buckling formula. Ensure FS*P does not exceed the Euler buckling formula load, where FS = factor of safety, and P = axial load = 450 kN. Perhaps (?) also ensure FS times the column axial stress does not exceed the elastic limit listed in post 1.

Thanks both for your help.

I have found the eulers formula:

P = pi^EI/ L^2

After transposing the formula to find I :

putting in my numbers of:

P= 450 kN
E = 200 GPa
L = 7 m

I am not sure what these units are (m2/cm2 etc) because E is in GPa and I don't know if I was supposed to put this as MPa first.

Even if I got the units wrong though, the answer still does not match. (I = 3351 cm^4.)

Thanks once again for your help

Emma

Emzielou83: Before you work the problem, convert all numbers to either N, mm, MPa, or N, m, Pa. Try it again. Also, didn't you forget to multiply P by FS in your above formula? See post 5. Also, there is a minor typo in your above formula.

nvn:

I have done the FS*P calculation and it works out as 1350kN, (3*450kN). So in MPa would be 1350/7^2 = 27.55 kPa, (kN/m^2). Is this correct?

I'm still confused over the rest of it though, mainly because I keep coming out with the wrong answer.

Using the formula: P = pi^2EI/L^2

450= pi^2*200*I/7^2

450 = 9.869*0.2*I/49

49*450 = 1973.92*I

22050 = 1973.92*I

22050/1973.92 = I

11.1706 = I

I think that I should be in cm^4, but my answer is wrong (correct answer 3351 cm^4). Can you see what I am doing that is incorrect?

Much appreciated,

Emma

Emzielou83: First convert all quantities to N, mm, and MPa. Therefore, go ahead and convert (and list) all values, so we can see where the trouble is coming in. I.e., convert P in kN to N, convert E in GPa to MPa, etc. Try it again. Regarding your formula, go ahead and change P in your equation to FS*P.

1. What are axial loads and how do they affect columns?

Axial loads refer to the force that is applied along the length of a structural element, such as a column. These loads can be either compressive or tensile. In columns, axial loads can cause the column to either buckle or collapse if the load exceeds the column's capacity.

2. How do I determine the required size of a column for a specific axial load?

To determine the required size of a column for a specific axial load, you will need to consider the material properties of the column (such as its strength and stiffness), the type of loading (compressive or tensile), and any other factors that may affect the column's stability. You can use equations and tables from structural engineering handbooks or software programs to calculate the appropriate column size.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting a column for a specific application?

When selecting a column for a specific application, you should consider the type of loading, the material properties of the column, the height of the column, the support conditions, and the expected service life of the structure. These factors will help determine the appropriate size, material, and design of the column.

4. Can I use the same column design for different types of axial loads?

The same column design may not be suitable for different types of axial loads. For example, a column designed for compressive loads may not be able to withstand tensile loads. It is important to consider the type of load when selecting a column and ensure that it is designed to handle that specific type of load.

5. Is it necessary to consider the connection between the column and the structure when selecting a column?

Yes, it is important to consider the connection between the column and the structure when selecting a column. The connection must be able to transfer the load from the column to the rest of the structure without failure. The design of the connection should also be compatible with the selected column size and material.