How to obtain Axial Load Capacity from Tapered Roller Bearings Catalog

In summary, The Back to Back Tapered Roller Bearing arrangement is better in axial load capacity than the Face to Face configuration. However, the difference is not large.
AeroGeek
Hello there,

I'm trying to select a tapered roller bearing (TRB) for my actuator, I know the peak axial force that is going to come. I have some radial load as well.
I want to select the TRB based on the axial load, but all the bearing catalogs or most of them give Dynamic and static Load Ratings.

Do I have to consider the given(from the bearing manufacturers) dynamic load rating as equivalent load and use it?
Thank you in Advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
All bearing manufacturers usually explain how to select bearing size and give all the needed info.

You got the basic info very well-presented here. But SKF shows a more in-depth presentation of the same info here.

Likes AeroGeek and Lnewqban
jack action said:
All bearing manufacturers usually explain how to select bearing size and give all the needed info.

You got the basic info very well-presented here. But SKF shows a more in-depth presentation of the same info here.
Thank you, it's really well shown here. Yes, some bearing manufacturers have more in-depth, and its confusing sometimes which to consider.

jack action said:

Hi I have gone through many literature now. and yet i'm unable to figure out why the Back to Back Tapered roller Bearing arrangement is better in axial load capacity. How to justify with numbers when compared to face to face configuration

Physix_Forums.JPG

I calculated the loads on points A and B, Keeping the bearings the same in back-to-back (DB) and face-to-face (DF), L2 for back-to-back is 4-5 times that of face-to-face, i.e. 50 mm for DB and 10mm for DF. After the calculations for Equivalent load and bearing life, both have not changed much. there is a slight reduction in Equivalent load and Bearing for the DF. If the difference is so less, then can I not use DF instead of DB ?
But all the textbooks and literature says DB has more axial load capacity and rigidity. I agree with rigidity because of L2, but in my case, since the bearings are very close that I am unable to figure out which is a better configuration.
In my case, the Axial load is higher, and the radial load is minimal.? Any thoughts would be welcome

What is axial load capacity and why is it important?

Axial load capacity refers to the maximum amount of force that a tapered roller bearing can withstand in the axial direction without causing permanent damage. It is important because it determines the suitability of the bearing for specific applications and helps prevent premature failure.

How do I find the axial load capacity in a tapered roller bearings catalog?

The axial load capacity is typically listed in the technical specifications section of a tapered roller bearings catalog. It may be listed as a maximum load rating or as a dynamic or static load capacity, depending on the manufacturer.

What factors affect the axial load capacity of tapered roller bearings?

The axial load capacity of tapered roller bearings can be affected by various factors such as the bearing material, design and geometry, lubrication, operating conditions, and the type and magnitude of the applied load. It is important to consider these factors when selecting a bearing for a specific application.

Can the axial load capacity be increased for a tapered roller bearing?

Yes, the axial load capacity can be increased for a tapered roller bearing by using a larger bearing size, changing the bearing material or design, or using additional bearing components such as thrust washers or spacers. However, it is important to consult with a bearing manufacturer or engineer to ensure the proper selection and installation of the bearing.

How does the axial load capacity differ from the radial load capacity?

The axial load capacity refers to the force applied in the axial direction, while the radial load capacity refers to the force applied in the radial direction. Generally, tapered roller bearings have a higher radial load capacity than axial load capacity, but this can vary depending on the specific bearing design and application.