Axiom 6 Vector Space: Proving ℝ+ is a Vector Space

You can't just "distribute" a scalar across a vector. You can only operate on a vector using the operations defined for vectors. In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of scalar multiplication and addition, denoted by ∘ and ⊕ respectively, in a system where vectors are in ℝ+ and scalars are in ℝ. The vector space axiom 6 is explored, which states that (α ⊕ β)∘x = α·x ⊕ β·x, and the conversation also delves into the notation and distinction between field addition and vector addition.
Dustinsfl
{∀ x ϵ ℝ+ : x>0}
Define the operation of scalar multiplication, denoted ∘, by α∘x = x^α, x ϵ ℝ+ and α ϵ ℝ.
Define the operation of addition, denoted ⊕, by x ⊕ y = x·y, x, y ϵ ℝ+.
Thus, for this system, the scalar product of -3 times 1/2 is given by:
-3∘1/2 = (1/2)^-3 = 8 and the sum of 2 and 5 is given by:
2 ⊕ 5 = 2·5 = 10.
Is ℝ+ a vector space with these operations? Prove your answer.

6. (α ⊕ β)∘x = x^(α ⊕ β) = x^(α·β) = x^(β·α)
Am on the right path for this axiom?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dustinsfl said:
6. (α ⊕ β)∘x = x^(α ⊕ β) = x^(α·β) = x^(β·α)
Am on the right path for this axiom?

What axiom? Are you trying to prove or disprove:

(α ⊕ β)∘x = (α∘x) ⊕ (β∘x), which would be better written as

(x ⊕ y)∘a = (x∘a) ⊕ (y∘a)

If so, you need to continue until you get the right side to come out or show that it doesn't. I would also suggest you be careful to keep consistent notation. Your vectors are in R+ and your scalars are in R. You have already reversed the notation from what is given i.e., x, y in R+ and α, β in R. (Why not use a, b instead to save typing)?

Alpha and beta are simply scalars. The problem allows the scalars to be in all real where x only exists in real > 0. This is vector space axiom 6 which as stated says (α ⊕ β)∘x = α·x ⊕ β·x. The issue I was caught up on is how scalar multiplication is defined. It says scalar multiplication becomes the exponent. Am I able to ignore that and just distribute x?

Dustinsfl said:
Alpha and beta are simply scalars. The problem allows the scalars to be in all real where x only exists in real > 0. This is vector space axiom 6 which as stated says (α ⊕ β)∘x = α·x ⊕ β·x. The issue I was caught up on is how scalar multiplication is defined. It says scalar multiplication becomes the exponent. Am I able to ignore that and just distribute x?

Apparently you didn't understand what I said in my post. You are getting your notation all mixed up. If alpha and beta are scalars in R, then α ⊕ β doesn't make sense because the ⊕ operation is defined on the vectors which are the scalars in R+.

So alpha and beta can be taking as normal addition then?

Dustinsfl said:
So alpha and beta can be taking as normal addition then?

Not sure what that sentence means. Proving something like (x ⊕ y)∘a = (x∘a) ⊕ (y∘a) will not involve the ordinary + operation.

The axiom you're trying to show holds is:

For [itex]a, b \in R[/itex] and [itex]\vec{x} \in R^+[/itex],

[tex](a+b)\circ \vec{x} = a\circ \vec{x} \oplus b \circ \vec{x}[/tex]

where:

+ is the normal addition of real numbers
[itex]\oplus[/itex] is the vector addition defined above
[itex]\circ[/itex] is the scalar multiplication of a vector defined above

It's kind of confusing because the + symbol is typically used to denote both field addition and vector addition, but they are different operations. One of the goals of this problem, I'm guessing, is to get you to realize this distinction.

1. What is Axiom 6 in vector space?

Axiom 6 states that for any vector v in a vector space V, there exists a scalar c such that c*v = v. This means that any vector can be multiplied by a scalar to get the same vector.

2. What is the significance of proving ℝ+ is a vector space?

Proving ℝ+ (the set of positive real numbers) is a vector space is important because it shows that this set satisfies all the axioms of a vector space. This allows us to use properties and operations of vector spaces on ℝ+ and make mathematical arguments more rigorous.

3. How is ℝ+ proven to be a vector space?

To prove ℝ+ is a vector space, we start by showing that it satisfies the first four axioms (closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, commutativity of addition, and associativity of addition). Then, we use Axiom 6 to show that it satisfies the remaining two axioms (existence of a zero vector and existence of additive inverses).

4. What are some examples of elements in ℝ+?

Examples of elements in ℝ+ include 1, 2, 3.14, and 100. These are all positive real numbers that can be multiplied by scalars and added together to form new elements in ℝ+.

5. How does proving ℝ+ is a vector space relate to real-life applications?

Proving ℝ+ is a vector space has real-life applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, ℝ+ can represent physical quantities like distance or time, and operations on ℝ+ can represent physical transformations. In economics, ℝ+ can represent quantities like money or prices, and operations on ℝ+ can represent transactions or changes in value. In engineering, ℝ+ can represent physical quantities like force or energy, and operations on ℝ+ can represent transformations or calculations.