Axiom of Infinity and Garling, Theorem 1.7.4 - the successor set Z^+

In summary, the conversation is about the definition and construction of the successor set Z^+ in Garling's Section 1.7. The relevant text from Garling's book is provided, including the definition of a successor set and the notation used for its construction. The conversation includes an example to better understand the concept, and the conclusion is that Z^+ is the intersection of all subsets of P(S) that are successor sets. It is also noted that Garling uses the term "successor set" for what is commonly known as an "inductive set."
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading D. J. H. Garling: "A Course in Mathematical Analysis: Volume I Foundations and Elementary Real Analysis ... ...

I am currently focused on Garling's Section 1.7 The Foundation Axiom and the Axiom of Infinity ... ...

I need some help with Theorem 1.7.4 ... and in particular with the notion of a successor set \(\displaystyle Z^+\) ... ... ... ... the relevant text from Garling is as follows:
View attachment 6153
In the above text we read the following:

" ... ... Suppose that \(\displaystyle S\) is a successor set. Let

\(\displaystyle Z^+ = \cap \{ B \in P(S) : B \text{ is a successor set } \}\) ... "
Note also that Garling defines a successor set as follows:

" ... ... A set \(\displaystyle A\) is called a successor set if \(\displaystyle \emptyset \in A\) and if \(\displaystyle a^+ \in A\) whenever \(\displaystyle a \in A\) ... ... "and

Garling defines \(\displaystyle a^+\) as follows:

" ... ... If \(\displaystyle a\) is a set, we define \(\displaystyle a^+\) to be the set \(\displaystyle a \cup \{ a \}\) ... ... "
Now my problem is that I do not understand the definition/construction of \(\displaystyle Z^+\) ... ... in each example I construct I seem to get \(\displaystyle Z^+ = \emptyset\) ... ... and this cannot be right ...
For example ...
Suppose that

\(\displaystyle S = \{ \emptyset , a , a \cup \{ a \} , \{ a , b \}, \{ a , b \} \cup \{ \{ a , b \} \} \}\)\(\displaystyle Z^+ = \cap B_i\) where \(\displaystyle B_i \in P(S)\) and each \(\displaystyle B_i\) is a successor set ...... ... then we find ... ...\(\displaystyle B_1 = \{ \emptyset, a , a \cup \{ a \} \}\)

\(\displaystyle B_2 = \{ \emptyset, \{ a , b \} , \{ a , b \} \cup \{ \{ a , b \} \} \}\)

\(\displaystyle B_3 = S\) ... so ... ...\(\displaystyle B_1, B_2, B_3\) seem to me to be the only subsets of \(\displaystyle P(S)\) that are successor sets and we find that ...\(\displaystyle \cup B_i = \emptyset \)BUT ... surely this cannot be right ...!Can someone clarify this issue and show me how Z^+ is meant to be constructed ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter====================================================

In order to enable readers to get a better understanding of Garling's notation and approach I am providing the first two pages of Section 1.7 ... as follows:View attachment 6154
View attachment 6155

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Suppose that

\(\displaystyle S = \{ \emptyset , a , a \cup \{ a \} , \{ a , b \}, \{ a , b \} \cup \{ \{ a , b \} \} \}\)
This $S$ is not a successor set because $(a \cup \{ a \})^+\notin S$ (at least, not for al $a$).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
This $S$ is not a successor set because $(a \cup \{ a \})^+\notin S$ (at least, not for al $a$).
Thanks Evgeny ... I'll now try to reformulate my example ...

I am assuming S should be as follows ... ...

\(\displaystyle S = \{ \emptyset , \emptyset^+, \emptyset^{++}, \emptyset^{+++}, \ ... \ ... \ ... \ , a, a^+, a^{++}, a^{+++}, \ ... \ ... \ ... \ , \{ a , b \}, \{ a , b \}^+, \{ a , b \}^{++}, \{ a , b \}^{+++}, \ ... \ ... \ ... \ \} \)Then Garling defines \(\displaystyle Z^+\) as follows:\(\displaystyle Z^+ = \cap B_i\) where \(\displaystyle B_i \in P(S)\) and each \(\displaystyle B_i\) is a successor set ...... ... then we find ... ...\(\displaystyle B_1 = \{ \emptyset , \emptyset^+, \emptyset^{++}, \emptyset^{+++}, \ ... \ ... \ ... \ \}\)\(\displaystyle B_2 = \{ \emptyset , \emptyset^+, \emptyset^{++}, \emptyset^{+++}, \ ... \ ... \ ... \ a, a^+, a^{++}, a^{+++}, \ ... \ ... \ ... \ \}\)\(\displaystyle B_3 = \{ \emptyset , \emptyset^+, \emptyset^{++}, \emptyset^{+++}, \ ... \ ... \ ... \ , \{ a , b \}, \{ a , b \}^+, \{ a , b \}^{++}, \{ a , b \}^{+++}, \ ... \ ... \ ... \ \} \)

and

\(\displaystyle B_4 = S\) ... so ... ...\(\displaystyle B_1, B_2, B_3, B_4 \) now seem to me to be the only subsets of \(\displaystyle P(S)\) that are successor sets and we find that ...\(\displaystyle \cap B_i = \{ \emptyset , \emptyset^+, \emptyset^{++}, \emptyset^{+++}, \ ... \ ... \ ... \ \} \)

Is that correct?

PeterNOTE - just by the way, I think that what Garling is calling a "successor set" is often called an "inductive set" ... can you confirm that this is the case?

Last edited:
Peter said:
\(\displaystyle B_1, B_2, B_3, B_4 \) now seem to me to be the only subsets of \(\displaystyle P(S)\) that are successor sets
$P(S)$ contains infinitely many successor sets. All of them include $B_1$, but elements of the form $a^{+\dots}$ may start with, say, $a^{+++}$ and not with $a$. The intersection of all these sets is indeed $\{ \emptyset , \emptyset^+, \emptyset^{++}, \emptyset^{+++}, \ ...\}$.

Peter said:
I think that what Garling is calling a "successor set" is often called an "inductive set" ... can you confirm that this is the case?
Yes.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
$P(S)$ contains infinitely many successor sets. All of them include $B_1$, but elements of the form $a^{+\dots}$ may start with, say, $a^{+++}$ and not with $a$. The intersection of all these sets is indeed $\{ \emptyset , \emptyset^+, \emptyset^{++}, \emptyset^{+++}, \ ...\}$.

Yes.
Thanks so much Evgeny... most helpful indeed!

Peter

Last edited:

1. What is the Axiom of Infinity?

The Axiom of Infinity is a fundamental axiom in set theory that states the existence of an infinite set. It ensures that there is at least one set that contains infinitely many elements.

2. What is Garling, Theorem 1.7.4?

Garling, Theorem 1.7.4 is a mathematical theorem that is used in set theory to prove the existence of the set of natural numbers, denoted by Z+. It is based on the Axiom of Infinity and states that there exists a set Z+ that satisfies certain properties, including being closed under the successor function.

3. What is the successor set Z+?

The successor set Z+ is a set that contains all natural numbers and their successors. In other words, for any element n in Z+, the successor of n, denoted by n+1, is also in Z+. This set is essential in constructing the set of natural numbers and other important mathematical concepts.

4. How is the Axiom of Infinity used to prove Garling, Theorem 1.7.4?

The Axiom of Infinity guarantees the existence of at least one infinite set. Garling, Theorem 1.7.4 uses this axiom to construct a set Z+ that satisfies the properties needed for a successor set. By using the Axiom of Infinity, we can prove that Z+ is a well-defined set and that it is closed under the successor function.

5. Why is Garling, Theorem 1.7.4 important in mathematics?

Garling, Theorem 1.7.4 is important in mathematics because it provides a rigorous proof for the existence of the set of natural numbers, which is a fundamental concept in mathematics. It also serves as a foundation for constructing other important mathematical concepts, such as the set of integers, rationals, and real numbers.