AZING! How does the Carnot cycle affect refrigerator efficiency?

In summary: Since heat is absorbed by the hot reservoir, the heat flow from system to the hot reservoir is negative: QH<0. Since heat is removed from the cold reservoir, the heat flow from the cold reservoir to the system is positive, QL > 0. The ΔU of the system = 0. So from the perspective of the system, where W = work done BY the system: QH + QL = ΔU + W = W. Using absolute values (QH = -|QH|): |QL|-|QH| = W
nightingale

Homework Statement

The temperature in a refrigerator evaporator coil is -6oC and that in the condenser coil is 22oC. Assuming that the machine operates on the reversed Carnot cycle, calculate the COPref , the refrigerant effect per kW of input work, and the heat rejected to the condenser.
Answers: 9.54, 9.54 kW, 10.54 kW

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

COPref = 1/((TH/TL)-1)
CoPref = 1/ (28/627)
COPref = 9.53

I have no idea how to find the the input of work and the heat rejected. Could you please help? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
nightingale said:

Homework Statement

The temperature in a refrigerator evaporator coil is -6oC and that in the condenser coil is 22oC. Assuming that the machine operates on the reversed Carnot cycle, calculate the COPref , the refrigerant effect per kW of input work, and the heat rejected to the condenser.
Answers: 9.54, 9.54 kW, 10.54 kW

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

COPref = 1/((TH/TL)-1)
CoPref = 1/ (28/627)

I have no idea how to find the the input of work and the heat rejected. Could you please help? Thank you.
I think you meant COPref = 1/(28/267) = 9.536 = 9.54

For a refrigerator, COP = heat removed from cold/work done

You are given W and you have calculated COP. You just need to find QL

Once you have QL you should be able to find QH. What is the relationship between QH, QL and W?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
For a refrigerator, COP = heat removed from cold/work done

You are given W and you have calculated COP. You just need to find QL

AM

Thank you Andrew. But I was only given the high and low temperatures, not the W. Could you please explain further? I think that OL = QH + W. Is this correct? Thank you in advance.

nightingale said:
Thank you Andrew. But I was only given the high and low temperatures, not the W. Could you please explain further? I think that OL = QH + W. Is this correct? Thank you in advance.
Not quite. Apply the first law to the system: Q = ΔU + W where Q is the total (net) heat flow for the system, W is the work done BY the system and ΔU is the change in internal energy of the system. Hint: Since the system is cyclical, what can you say about the change in U over any number of complete cycles?

AM

Likes 1 person
nightingale said:
Thank you Andrew. But I was only given the high and low temperatures, not the W. Could you please explain further?
You are asked to find the refrigerant effect, QL, per kW of input work and the heat rejected to the condenser, QH (per kW of input work). So W is 1 kW.

AM

Likes 1 person
Andrew Mason said:
Not quite. Apply the first law to the system: Q = ΔU + W where Q is the total (net) heat flow for the system, W is the work done BY the system and ΔU is the change in internal energy of the system. Hint: Since the system is cyclical, what can you say about the change in U over any number of complete cycles?

AM

The ΔU equals to zero in complete cycle? Does this mean the QL = 0 + W? QL = W, I do get the answer 9.54 kw.
QL = W + QH
9.54 = 1 + QH
QH = 8.54kW, which is the wrong answer. Is the heat rejected QL or QH?
Thank you very much Andrew.

nightingale said:
The ΔU equals to zero in complete cycle? Does this mean the QL = 0 + W? QL = W, I do get the answer 9.54 kw.
QL = W + QH
9.54 = 1 + QH
QH = 8.54kW, which is the wrong answer. Is the heat rejected QL or QH?
Thank you very much Andrew.
The heat rejected is QH. But you have to be careful with the signs.

Since heat is absorbed by the hot reservoir, the heat flow from system to the hot reservoir is negative: QH<0. Since heat is removed from the cold reservoir, the heat flow from the cold reservoir to the system is positive, QL > 0. The ΔU of the system = 0.

So from the perspective of the system, where W = work done BY the system: QH + QL = ΔU + W = W. Using absolute values (QH = -|QH|): |QL|-|QH| = W

So |QH| = |QL| - W. Since positive work is done ON the system, W<0 so W = -|W|. In other words:

|QH| = |QL| + |W|. Normally this is written QH = QL + W where the absolute values are implicitly understood.

If 9.54 kW is removed from the cold reservoir for each 1.00 kW of work done ON the system, then what is QH (i.e. |QH|)?

AM

What is the Reversed Carnot Cycle Problem?

The Reversed Carnot Cycle Problem is a theoretical problem that involves finding the maximum possible efficiency of a heat engine operating in reverse. It is based on the Carnot Cycle, which is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that represents the most efficient way to convert heat into work.

What is the purpose of solving the Reversed Carnot Cycle Problem?

The purpose of solving the Reversed Carnot Cycle Problem is to understand the fundamental limits of heat engines and to determine the maximum efficiency that can be achieved. This problem is important in the field of thermodynamics and has implications for the design and optimization of real-world energy systems.

What are the key assumptions made in the Reversed Carnot Cycle Problem?

The Reversed Carnot Cycle Problem assumes that the heat engine operates in a reversible manner, meaning that there are no losses or inefficiencies. It also assumes that the working fluid is an ideal gas and that there are no changes in temperature or pressure during the isothermal processes.

What is the formula for calculating the efficiency of a Reversed Carnot Cycle?

The efficiency of a Reversed Carnot Cycle can be calculated using the formula: Efficiency = 1 - (Tc/Th), where Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir and Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir. This formula shows that the efficiency is dependent on the temperature difference between the two reservoirs.

What factors affect the efficiency of a Reversed Carnot Cycle?

The efficiency of a Reversed Carnot Cycle is affected by the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, as well as the type of working fluid used. In general, the greater the temperature difference, the higher the efficiency. Additionally, using an ideal gas as the working fluid can result in a higher efficiency compared to a real gas.