Question about Carnot theorem proof

In summary, The compound engine IR is a self acting machine which transfers heat from the sink(at lower temperature) to the source(at higher temperature) without any external agency, which is against the second law of thermodynamics.
Ruby_338

Homework Statement

Carnot theorem states that no engine working between two temperatures T1 of source and T2 of sink can have a greater efficiency than that of the Carnot engine.

Second law of thermodynamics:it is impossible for a self acting machine to transfer heat from a body at a higher temperature to a body at a lower temperature.

Consider a reversible engine R and an irreversible engine I. The engines are coupled such that as I runs forwards, it drives R backwards. I absorbs heat Q1from source, performs work W and and rejects heat Q2= Q1 - W to the sink.
Efficiency of I, μI = W/Q1
The engine R absorbs heat Q'2 from the sink, work W is done on it and it rejects heat Q'1to the source
Efficiency of engine R, μR= W/Q'1
Suppose, I more efficient than R. Then
μI > μR or W/Q1> W/ Q'1 so
Q'1>Q1
The source loses heat Q1 to I and gains heat Q'1 from R
Net heat gained by source per cycle is. Q'1- Q1 which is positive since Q'1 greater than Q1
The sink gains heat Q1- W from I and loses Q'2 to R.
Net heat lost by sink per cycle = Q'2 - (Q1-W). = Q'2- {Q1 -(Q'1-Q'2)}
= Q'1- Q1
The compound engine IR is a self acting machine which transfers heat from the sink(at lower temperature) to the source (at higher temperature) without any external agency, which is against the second law of thermodynamics.

My question is: if we put R in I's place and
, assume R more efficient than I, then using the same procedure as above, won't we find that heat would still flow from sink to source? Does this not also violate the second law of thermodynamics? Is the proof valid?

Homework Equations

Efficiency of an engine, μ= W/Q1= (Q1-Q2)/Q1
Where W is work done by engine, Q1 is heat drawn from source by engine and Q2 is heat rejected to sink by engine.

The Attempt at a Solution

Putting R in I's place,
Consider a reversible engine R and an irreversible engine I. The engines are coupled such that as R runs forwards, it drives I backwards. R absorbs heat Q1from source, performs work W and and rejects heat Q2= Q1 - W to the sink.
Efficiency of R, μI = W/Q1
The engine I absorbs heat Q'2 from the sink, work W is done on it and it rejects heat Q'1to the source
Efficiency of engine I, μI= W/Q'1
Suppose, R more efficient than I. Then
μI < μR or W/Q1> W/ Q'1 so
Q'1>Q1
The source loses heat Q1 to R and gains heat Q'1 from I
Net heat gained by source per cycle is. Q'1- Q1 which is positive since Q'1 greater than Q1
The sink gains heat Q1- W from R and loses Q'2 to I
Net heat lost by sink per cycle = Q'2 - (Q1-W). = Q'2- {Q1 -(Q'1-Q'2)}
= Q'1- Q1
The compound engine IR is a self acting machine which transfers heat from the sink(at lower temperature) to the source (at higher temperature) without any external agency, which is against the second law of thermodynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org
When an irreversible engine runs backward, the ratio W'/Q'1 is not the same as the ratio W/Q1 for the same engine when it runs forward. (Otherwise, it would be a reversible engine.) In your second analysis you wrote
Ruby_338 said:
Suppose, R more efficient than I. Then
μI < μR or W/Q1> W/ Q'1
That's true if both R and I are running in the forward direction. But I is running backward.

The engines I and R in the second case are not the same engines I and R in
the first case. My bad.

Ruby_338 said:
The engines I and R in the second case are not the same engines I and R in
the first case.
OK. But when you say that ##R## is more efficient than ##I## when operating between the same reservoirs, that means that the efficiency ##\left(\frac{W}{Q_1}\right)_R## for ##R## is greater than ##\left(\frac{W}{Q_1}\right)_I## for ##I## when ##I## is running in the forward direction. Efficiency of an engine is defined as ##\frac{W}{Q_1}## when the engine is run in the forward direction (i.e., ##Q_1## is heat input to the engine from the hot reservoir and ##W## is work output by the engine).

If you run ##I## in the reverse direction between the two reservoirs, the ratio ##\left(\frac{W'}{Q'_1}\right)_I## will not be the same as when ##I## is running in the forward direction. (Now, ##Q'_1## is heat output to the hot reservoir and ##W'## is work input to the engine.)

So, although it is true that ##\left(\frac{W}{Q_1}\right)_R > \left(\frac{W}{Q_1}\right)_I## when ##I## is running forward, it does not logically follow that ##\left(\frac{W}{Q_1}\right)_R > \left(\frac{W'}{Q'_1}\right)_I## when ##I## is running backward. But you assumed this latter inequality in your derivation.

Likes senperfect
Is it possible for efficiency of R to be more than the backwards running efficiency of
I for any engines I and R? Because in that case, net heat would flow from the sink to the source ( I think) which violates the second law of thermodynamics even though Carnot's theorem implies that R should be more efficient than I.
If net heat does not flow from sink to source, how can it be proven?

Last edited:
K. I got it. Thanks

Last edited:

1. What is Carnot's theorem?

Carnot's theorem is a thermodynamic principle that states that the maximum efficiency of a heat engine is dependent on the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs.

2. What is the proof of Carnot's theorem?

The proof of Carnot's theorem involves using the first and second laws of thermodynamics to show that the efficiency of a reversible heat engine is equal to the efficiency of a Carnot engine. This can be achieved by applying the laws to a hypothetical Carnot cycle.

3. Why is Carnot's theorem important?

Carnot's theorem is important because it provides a theoretical limit for the efficiency of heat engines. It also helps in understanding the relationship between temperature difference and efficiency, and is the basis for the development of more efficient engines.

4. How is Carnot's theorem used in real-life applications?

Carnot's theorem is used in the design and optimization of various heat engines, such as steam turbines and internal combustion engines. It also has applications in refrigeration and air conditioning systems.

5. What are the limitations of Carnot's theorem?

Carnot's theorem assumes idealized conditions, such as perfect insulation and no energy losses, which are not always achievable in real-life systems. Additionally, it only applies to reversible processes and does not take into account the time it takes for the engine to reach equilibrium.