B-field inside a charging || plate (disc shaped) capacitor

In summary: The surface bounded by the Amperean loop is like an open drum.The current enclosed by the loop is ## I_{en}## = I through the bottom of the drum + I(s) through that part of the curved surface which touches the plate.Now, how to find out I(s)?How to find out the direction of B considering this surface?If I consider the planar surface through the Amperean loop, then the displacement current is along z-axis and so the B-field is along the ## \hat \phi ## direction.I think for part "c" they are simply trying to show you the more complete Maxwell's law (in differential form) ##
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-3_18-20-43.png
upload_2017-9-3_18-21-4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have difficulty in solving part (C).
The surface bounded by the Amperean loop is like an open drum.
The current enclosed by the loop is ## I_{en}## = I through the bottom of the drum + I(s) through that part of the curved surface which touches the plate .
Now, how to find out I(s)?
How to find out the direction of B considering this surface?
If I consider the planar surface through the Amperean loop, then the displacement current is along z-axis and so the B-field is along the ## \hat \phi ## direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 210261View attachment 210262

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have difficulty in solving part (C).
The surface bounded by the Amperean loop is like an open drum.
The current enclosed by the loop is ## I_{en}## = I through the bottom of the drum + I(s) through that part of the curved surface which touches the plate .
How to find out the direction of B considering this surface?
If I consider the planar surface through the Amperean loop, then the displacement current is along z-axis and so the B-field is along the ## \hat \phi ## direction.
I think for part "c" they are simply trying to show you the more complete Maxwell's law (in differential form) ## \nabla \times B=\mu_o J+\mu_o \epsilon_o \dot{E} ##. Integrating over ## dA ## and using Stokes theorem gives the more complete form of Ampere's law: ## \oint B \cdot dl=\mu_o I +\mu_o \epsilon_o \int \dot{E} \, \cdot dA ##. Since there is no ## E ## from the capacitor outside the capacitor, I think they are just looking for you to evaluate the left side and the first term of the right side to compute ##B ##. ## \\ ## (I believe the displacement current for part (b) is ## I_D=\epsilon_o \int \dot{E} \cdot \, dA ##). ## \\ ## Editing: One item they usually try to show with this exercise in displacement current is, since we have ## \nabla \times E=-\dot{B} ## (which integrates to, along with Stokes theorem) ## \oint E \cdot \, dl=-\dot{\Phi}_m ##, that there might be a corresponding equation of the form ## \nabla \times B=\mu_o \epsilon_o \dot{E} ## which integrates to ## \oint B \cdot \, dl=\mu_o I_D ## where ## I_D= \epsilon_o \int \dot{E} \cdot \, dA ## . We also can have real currents ## I_S ## in which case we have ## \oint B \cdot \, dl =\mu_o I_S ##, so these two equations are combined into the more complete form of Ampere's law: ## \oint B \cdot \, dl=\mu_o(I_S+I_D) ##. ## \\ ## (In differential form, this more complete equation reads ## \nabla \times B=\mu_o J +\mu_o \epsilon_o \dot{E} ##. This more complete form is used to derive the electromagnetic wave equation).

Last edited:
Pushoam said:
upload_2017-9-3_14-26-50.png

Consider the net charge q in the shaded region of radius s. Can you express q in terms of the total charge Q on the entire plate?

Consider the rate of change of q and how it is related to I and I(s).

1. What is a "B-field" inside a charging parallel plate capacitor?

The "B-field" refers to the magnetic field that is created within the capacitor due to the flow of current during the charging process. This magnetic field is perpendicular to the electric field within the capacitor and can affect the behavior of charged particles within the capacitor.

2. How is the "B-field" inside a charging parallel plate capacitor calculated?

The "B-field" inside a charging parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the capacitor, and r is the distance from the center of the capacitor.

3. Does the "B-field" inside a charging parallel plate capacitor change as the capacitor charges?

Yes, the "B-field" inside a charging parallel plate capacitor changes as the capacitor charges. As the current flowing through the capacitor increases, the magnetic field strength also increases. Once the capacitor is fully charged, the "B-field" will remain constant unless the capacitor is discharged or the current is changed.

4. How does the "B-field" inside a charging parallel plate capacitor affect the behavior of charged particles?

The "B-field" inside a charging parallel plate capacitor can cause charged particles to experience a force perpendicular to both the electric field and the direction of current flow. This force, known as the Lorentz force, can cause charged particles to move in a circular or helical path within the capacitor.

5. Can the "B-field" inside a charging parallel plate capacitor be shielded or canceled out?

Yes, the "B-field" inside a charging parallel plate capacitor can be shielded or canceled out by placing a magnetic material around the capacitor or by using a second capacitor with an opposite current flow. This can be useful in applications where the "B-field" may interfere with other equipment or experiments.