B on center of 2 infinite wires with semi - circular end

In summary, the magnetic field at the center of two infinite wires with semi-circular ends is dependent on the current flowing through the wires and is stronger when the currents are in the same direction and weaker when they are in opposite directions. The formula for calculating the magnetic field is B = μ0I/4πr, with μ0 being the permeability of free space, I being the current, and r being the distance from the center of the wires. It is possible for the magnetic field to be zero at the center if the currents are equal and opposite. The distance between the wires has an inverse relationship with the magnetic field, meaning it decreases as the distance increases. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-23_13-16-7.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Magnetic field due to both semi - infinite straight wires on P = Magnetic field due to infinite straight wire on P = ## \frac { \mu_0 I } { 2 \pi a } = 2 * 10 ^{-5} ~wb/m^2 ##

Magnetic field due to semi – circular wire on P = ## \frac { \mu_0 I } { 4a} = 3.14 * 10 ^{-5} ~wb/m^2 ##So, total magnetic field magnitude on P is = 0.514 gauss.

Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-23_13-16-7.png
    upload_2017-12-23_13-16-7.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,533
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I concur with @Delta² . You work looks correct.

Thanks.

Question 1: How does the magnetic field at the center of two infinite wires with semi-circular ends behave?

The magnetic field at the center of two infinite wires with semi-circular ends is dependent on the current flowing through the wires. If the currents in both wires are in the same direction, the magnetic field will be stronger. If the currents are in opposite directions, the magnetic field will be weaker.

Question 2: What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field at the center of two infinite wires with semi-circular ends?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field at the center of two infinite wires with semi-circular ends is B = μ0I/4πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wires, and r is the distance from the center of the wires.

Question 3: Can the magnetic field at the center of two infinite wires with semi-circular ends be zero?

Yes, the magnetic field at the center of two infinite wires with semi-circular ends can be zero if the currents in the wires are equal and opposite in direction. This results in the cancellation of the magnetic fields, resulting in a net magnetic field of zero at the center.

Question 4: How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic field at the center?

The distance between the wires has an inverse relationship with the magnetic field at the center. As the distance increases, the magnetic field decreases. This is because the magnetic field follows an inverse square law, meaning it decreases with the square of the distance from the source.

Question 5: Can the magnetic field at the center of two infinite wires with semi-circular ends be directed in a specific direction?

The direction of the magnetic field at the center of two infinite wires with semi-circular ends is dependent on the direction of the current in the wires. It cannot be directed in a specific direction without changing the direction of the current in one or both of the wires.