Backing back on track after 16 years of mental issues

In summary, the speaker has a BSc in Physics but faced challenges with depression and schizophrenia. They have had difficulty maintaining employment and were unable to pursue further studies due to self-stigma and their mother's concerns. Now at the age of 40, they are stable and looking to improve their chances of getting into graduate school. Suggestions include performing well on the GRE and showing the ability to stay employed long-term.
Charles Xavier
Hi all,
I graduated from university with a BSc in Physics (3rd class) in 2000.

I was having some issues with depression then in my university years but I managed to graduate with a B average in my basic degree.

In 2005, I was warded in a psychiatric hospital and diagnosed with schizophrenia. I was not hearing and have never heard voices nor have I had any clear hallucinatory symptoms. Instead, I believed in conspiracies that were kind of naïve and far-fetched.

I have had a spotty employment history. I have barely worked longer than half a year in a full-time capacity in supported employment.

These 16 years because of self-stigma and the stigma of my mother, I was unable to pursue my studies. Not even independently, as my mother was afraid I would relapse if I were so much as to study physics on my own again.

16 years later, I am somewhat stable. I am acutely aware that having lost all these years, further studies is a long shot. However I am already 40 and if I don’t pursue it now, I will likely never have a chance.

What can I do now to better my chances of getting into graduate school?

Last edited:
Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry. It's "Getting back on track" in the topic title. Having a dizzy spell.

Charles Xavier said:
What can I do now to better my chances of getting into graduate school?

You need to a) smoke the GRE, and b) show that you can stay employed at one job for multiple years. (Grad school is a multiple year commitment)

Likes Charles Xavier

1. How do I get back on track after 16 years of mental issues?

The first step in getting back on track after 16 years of mental issues is to seek professional help. A therapist or counselor can provide support and guidance in developing a plan for recovery. It is also important to prioritize self-care, such as practicing healthy habits and finding ways to manage stress.

2. Will it be difficult to transition back to a normal routine after 16 years of mental issues?

Transitioning back to a normal routine after 16 years of mental issues can be challenging, but it is possible with patience and perseverance. It may be helpful to start slowly and gradually increase responsibilities and activities. It is also important to have a support system in place to help navigate any difficulties that may arise.

3. How can I prevent relapse after 16 years of mental issues?

To prevent relapse after 16 years of mental issues, it is important to continue with therapy and regularly check in with a mental health professional. It can also be helpful to establish a strong support system, develop coping mechanisms for managing stress, and practice self-care regularly.

4. Are there any specific strategies or techniques that can help me get back on track after 16 years of mental issues?

Yes, there are many strategies and techniques that can help with getting back on track after 16 years of mental issues. Some common ones include setting realistic goals, practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques, and developing a daily routine. It may also be beneficial to identify and challenge negative thoughts and beliefs that may be hindering progress.

5. Is it possible to fully recover after 16 years of mental issues?

Every individual's journey to recovery is unique, but it is possible to make significant progress and lead a fulfilling life after 16 years of mental issues. With dedication to therapy, self-care, and maintaining healthy habits, it is possible to achieve a sense of balance and well-being. However, it is important to remember that recovery is a continuous process and may require ongoing support and effort.