Bacterial metabolism, Questions ?

• Thread starter jhirlo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metabolism
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of bacterial metabolism and the different ways that bacteria can obtain energy. The conversation also mentions the Helmstetter-Cummings technique for achieving synchronized growth and provides some online resources for further reading on bacterial metabolism. The ED pathway is mentioned as well, questioning its usefulness in light of the low ATP yield per glucose.
jhirlo
Please help, I have some problems with understanding bacterial metabolism. If we have bacteria who for example gets energy by oxidizing H2S to S, and than we have one that gets it’s energy by reducing S to H2S, doesn’t that seems like perpetuum mobile. I’m probably missing something here, but I can't see it (light or something?).

Then, some photosynthetic bacteria, use oxidation of inorganic substrate for energy, although they can photosynthesize (using that same substrate H2S), why?

Generally, am looking for some good online reference for general (non aerobe, non glicolitic) all bacterial metabolisms (not so much in chemical but in logic/physics way), because currently I’m lost in see of different types of energy yielding, and I need answers really fast.

Thanks!

p.s. it would be great if someone care to explain Helmstetter - Cummings technique of achieving synchronized growth

Biology news on Phys.org
The best resource would be a university level microbiology book. This summary in the following link should be usefull
http://textbookofbacteriology.net/metabolism.html

jhirlo said:
p.s. it would be great if someone care to explain Helmstetter - Cummings technique of achieving synchronized growth

You might want to read to original paper by Helmstetter and Cummings, I find it quite good at explaning their method and results.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=221258

I got a new one :), what about ED "entner - doudoroff" pathway, what's it's point ? So much trouble just over one ATP/glucose.

What is bacterial metabolism?

Bacterial metabolism refers to the chemical reactions and processes that occur within bacteria to break down nutrients and produce energy for the bacteria to survive and grow.

What are the different types of bacterial metabolism?

There are two main types of bacterial metabolism: aerobic and anaerobic. Aerobic metabolism occurs in the presence of oxygen, while anaerobic metabolism occurs without oxygen.

How do bacteria obtain energy from their environment?

Bacteria obtain energy through a process called cellular respiration, where they break down organic molecules such as glucose and convert them into ATP, the main energy currency of cells.

What factors can affect bacterial metabolism?

Several factors can affect bacterial metabolism, including temperature, pH, nutrient availability, and the presence of oxygen or other electron acceptors.

Why is understanding bacterial metabolism important?

Understanding bacterial metabolism is important for many reasons, including developing treatments for bacterial infections, improving industrial processes that use bacteria, and studying the role of bacteria in various ecosystems and biogeochemical cycles.