Bacteriostatic Drugs: Effects & Metabolism on Bacteria

• Medical
  • Thread starter CieloB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drugs
In summary, when bacteria are exposed to a bacteriostatic drug, their replication is inhibited, preventing them from multiplying. This allows the immune system to catch up and potentially eliminate the bacteria. However, the bacteria may still be able to exist and function as a physiologically normal cell with the handicap of not being able to replicate. Bactericidal drugs, on the other hand, cause cellular destruction by stimulating the production of hydroxyl radicals. This is a common mechanism of cellular death induced by bactericidal antibiotics, regardless of drug-target interaction. Bacteriostatic drugs do not produce hydroxyl radicals. The mechanism of hydroxyl radical formation involves the tricarboxylic acid cycle, depletion of N
CieloB
What really happens when the bacteria get exposed to a bacteriostatic drug? Bactericidal drugs cause cellular destruction but the static drugs, as per description are said to prevent the bacteria from replicating. But apart from this what happens to the bacteria, is it able to exist and function as a physiologically normal cell which has a single handicap in the form of not being able to replicate? Or is there any additional affection?

What really happens to its metabolism? Does it still take up resources from the surrounding?
Would be really grateful if someone can point to any specific references pertaining to this.

Biology news on Phys.org
You may find the following paper to be useful: Kohanski et al. 2007. A Common Mechanism of Cellular Death Induced by Bactericidal Antibiotics Cell, 130: 797. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2007.06.049

Abstract:
Antibiotic mode-of-action classification is based upon drug-target interaction and whether the resultant inhibition of cellular function is lethal to bacteria. Here we show that the three major classes of bactericidal antibiotics, regardless of drug-target interaction, stimulate the production of highly deleterious hydroxyl radicals in Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria, which ultimately contribute to cell death. We also show, in contrast, that bacteriostatic drugs do not produce hydroxyl radicals. We demonstrate that the mechanism of hydroxyl radical formation induced by bactericidal antibiotics is the end product of an oxidative damage cellular death pathway involving the tricarboxylic acid cycle, a transient depletion of NADH, destabilization of iron-sulfur clusters, and stimulation of the Fenton reaction. Our results suggest that all three major classes of bactericidal drugs can be potentiated by targeting bacterial systems that remediate hydroxyl radical damage, including proteins involved in triggering the DNA damage response, e.g., RecA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes CieloB
CieloB said:
but the static drugs, as per description are said to prevent the bacteria from replicating.

That's my understanding. I know this because in the 80's I caught a urethral infection from some hooker at a strip club in downtown Honolulu :rolleyes:

At that time on the Island there was only one community health clinic that was free, and it was a long bus ride out out Waikiki. So I took the bus out to the clinic and this 70 year old Polynesian women stuck this long cotton swab in my... Anyway, they gave me a prescription for some form of antibiotic and I was so happy that this might relieve the stinging that I read the full whitepaper on the medicine on my long bus trip back to Waikiki, complete with the contraindications and the rest of it. It was actually pretty telling and may even have been partially influential to me becoming a biologist :oldsmile:

Basically, what the whitepaper said is that this antibiotic I was taking inhibited the replication of the bacteria. As far as you initial question, the way it works is that, pre-anti-biotics, whether you lived or died depended on whether your immune system outpaced killing the bacteria faster than it could replicate. What anti-biotics do is slow down the rate of replication.

P.S., from what I remember the medication was a chemical that binded to a DNA sequence that was involved in or essential to the replication and prevented that from happening. So it's kind of like throwing a wooded Dutch shoe in the gears of the machine like the Luddites liked to do.

Last edited:

1. What are bacteriostatic drugs and how do they work?

Bacteriostatic drugs are a type of antibiotic that inhibits the growth and reproduction of bacteria. They do this by targeting specific bacterial processes, such as protein synthesis or DNA replication, which are necessary for bacterial growth. By stopping these processes, the bacteria are unable to continue multiplying and eventually die off.

2. What types of bacteria are affected by bacteriostatic drugs?

Bacteriostatic drugs can be effective against a wide range of bacteria, including both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. However, their effectiveness may vary depending on the specific type of bacteria and its susceptibility to the drug.

3. How are bacteriostatic drugs metabolized by bacteria?

Bacteriostatic drugs are metabolized by bacteria through a variety of mechanisms, including enzymatic breakdown, efflux pumps, and mutations in the bacterial genes. These mechanisms can lead to bacterial resistance to the drug, making it less effective in treating infections.

4. What are the potential side effects of bacteriostatic drugs?

Like any medication, bacteriostatic drugs can have side effects. These may include nausea, diarrhea, allergic reactions, and yeast infections. It is important to follow the prescribed dosage and finish the entire course of antibiotics to avoid potential side effects and to ensure the bacteria are completely eradicated from the body.

5. How do bacteriostatic drugs differ from bactericidal drugs?

Bacteriostatic drugs and bactericidal drugs both work to kill bacteria, but they do so in different ways. Bacteriostatic drugs inhibit the growth of bacteria, while bactericidal drugs directly kill the bacteria. Bacteriostatic drugs may be less effective against more severe infections, as they rely on the body's immune system to ultimately eliminate the bacteria, while bactericidal drugs are more immediately effective against the bacteria.