Balancing Chemical Equations and Calculating Total Pressure in a Reaction

• Thread starter omni
  • Start date
In summary, a tank with a volume of 5 L contains 0.176 mol of NO at 298K. When 0.176 mol of O2 is added, a reaction occurs to create NO2. The balanced equation for this reaction is 2NO + O2 --> 2NO2. To calculate the total pressure at the end of the reaction, the formula is P = PO2 + PNO. It is helpful to first balance the coefficients of larger molecules before balancing diatomic molecules.
omni
in tank with volume 5 L contains 0.176 mol of NO in 298k temperature, then we put in this tank 0.176 O2
so we got a reaction that create NO2.
i need to write the balanced equation for this reaction.
so this what i got but i sure is not correct. NO+O2--->NO2 ? how can i get NO2 from NO+O2? how is it possible?

and then i need to calculate the total pressure in the end of the reaction.
what mean i need to find P=PO2+PNO? if yes can you give me the formula for this ?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: Write a balanced chemical equation.

well as you can see i tried to do it but i diden't succeed
how can i write a balanced chemical equation of NO+O2 and get NO2 is not possible i think.

i think is will be N0+1/2O2--->NO2

omni said:
i think is will be N0+1/2O2--->NO2

Now that you have the 1/2 coefficient on the Oxygen diatomic, isn't there something that you can do to the whole equation to turn it into a proper whole number?

well maybe to do 2NO+O2--->2NO2?

thanks.

That's right.

I find it helpful when balancing equations to first figure out the coefficients of the larger molecules and leave things like diatomics for last. That way you can do as you did, and put in a fraction that would mathematically balance the equation, and then just multiply through by a whole number to satisfy the equation.

ok thanks for help.

Related to Balancing Chemical Equations and Calculating Total Pressure in a Reaction

What is a balanced equation?

A balanced equation is a chemical equation that has the same number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation. This means that the reactants and products are in the correct proportions to satisfy the Law of Conservation of Mass.

How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to adjust the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) so that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. You can do this by using the lowest common multiple of the coefficients or by trial and error.

What is pressure in chemistry?

Pressure in chemistry refers to the force exerted by a gas on the walls of its container. It is typically measured in units such as atmospheres (atm), kilopascals (kPa), or millimeters of mercury (mmHg). Pressure is an important factor in chemical reactions as it can affect the rate and direction of the reaction.

How does pressure affect a chemical reaction?

Pressure can affect a chemical reaction by influencing the rate of the reaction and the equilibrium position. Increasing pressure can cause the reaction to occur at a faster rate, while decreasing pressure can slow down the reaction. Additionally, changes in pressure can shift the equilibrium position of a reaction, causing a change in the relative amounts of reactants and products.

What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to pressure?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This equation shows that pressure is directly proportional to the number of moles and temperature, and inversely proportional to volume.