Ball down hill w/ rotational motion

In summary, the problem asks for the minimum coefficient of static friction between a solid ball and a hillside for the ball to roll down without slipping. The attempt at a solution involves analyzing both the rotational and translational motion of the ball, using the equation F=ma and summing up forces and torque. However, the solution presented is incorrect and the correct approach involves finding the minimum coefficient of static friction by considering both the translational and rotational motion of the sphere.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

A solid ball is released from rest and slides down a hillside that slopes downward at an angle 69.0 degrees from the horizontal.

What minimum value must the coefficient of static friction between the hill and ball surfaces have for no slipping to occur?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure what they mean here. If the ball is to roll down the hill, then it cannot "slide" at all, otherwise it would not roll. They don't give me any numbers to solve this with, and it's not a symbolic answer because the problem does not say "give your solution in terms of m,g,θ, et al.

What do they want me to do for this problem?

What I did was treat the ball as a box, and find the [itex]μ_{s}[/itex] like so:

I said that parallel to, and down the hill was the increasing x axis. Then I summed up the forces, applied F=ma, so solve:

[tex]mgsin(69)-f_{s}=ma[/tex]
[tex]f_{s} = μ_{s}N = μ_{s}(mgcos(69))[/tex]
[tex]mgsin(69)-μ_{s}(mgcos(69)=ma[/tex]
Because it's not slipping, acceleration is zero, thus ma = 0
[tex]mgsin(69)-μ_{s}(mgcos(69)=0[/tex]
[tex]mgsin(69) =μ_{s}(mgcos(69)[/tex]
[tex]μ_{s} = \frac{mgsin(69)}{mgcos(69)}[/tex]
[tex]μ_{s} = tan(69)[/tex]

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:confused:
Apparently this is incorrect. How else can I tackle this problem? I don't understand why this won't work just as well as summing up the torque and setting them to zero.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You need to analyze both the rotational and the translational motion of the sphere. The friction affects both.

(Despite the sloppy wording of the problem statement, the sphere does not 'slide' down the hill. It rolls.)

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around its own axis. It is different from linear motion, where an object moves in a straight line.

2. How does rotational motion affect a ball rolling down a hill?

When a ball is rolling down a hill, it experiences both linear and rotational motion. The rotational motion helps to stabilize the ball and keep it rolling in a straight line. It also contributes to the ball's speed and direction of motion.

3. What factors affect the rotational motion of a ball rolling down a hill?

The rotational motion of a ball rolling down a hill can be affected by factors such as the slope of the hill, the mass and shape of the ball, and the surface on which it is rolling. Air resistance and friction can also play a role in the rotational motion of the ball.

4. How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion is measured using angular velocity, which is the rate at which an object rotates around its axis. This can be measured in units such as revolutions per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational motion?

Rotational motion is important in many aspects of our daily lives, such as in sports like golf and baseball, where it affects the trajectory of a ball. It is also crucial in machines and vehicles, where rotational motion is used to power and control movement. In addition, rotational motion is essential in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies in space.