Ball in 2D plane as a countable union of rectangles

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the open ball in the plane can be expressed as a countable union of rectangles, while the closed ball cannot. It is suggested that this is due to the countable nature of rational numbers versus the uncountable nature of real numbers. The conversation also delves into the idea of using rational rectangles to cover the open ball and the uncountability of points on the boundary of the closed ball.
Chasing_Time
Hi all, I'm getting stuck on this problem.

Homework Statement

I am asked to show that that the open ball in the plane {|x|} < 1} can be written as a countable union of rectangles [a_1, a_2] x [b_1,b_2], but the closed ball in the plane {|x| <= 1} cannot be written as a countable union of rectangles.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it has something to do with the fact that the rationals are countable but the reals are not, and extending this relationship to 2-D. For a given rectangle (a1, a2) X (b1, b2), to get the open ball one could keep halving the distances |a2 - a1| and |b2 - b1| for each rectangle, and since the operation is halving the set the result is still countable, and further, the product will be countable as well as the union of all such rectangles. But to get the closed ball must invoke irrational numbers- I believe this has something to do with the fact that the ball is convex, but I'm not sure how to incorporate that either. At least a starting point would be very helpful. Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the set of ALL rectangles R with a1, b1, a2 and b2 rational and R is contained in O={|x|<1}. That's countable, right? Can you show it covers O? To go the other way, take a point x such that |x|=1 and, say, x is in the first quadrant. Can you show that if x is in a rectangle contained in C={|x|<=1} then x is the upper right corner of the rectangle? How many points are there on the first quadrant of the of the circle |x|=1? Can you show it's uncountable?

Yes- this is all coming together now. I'm just unable to show that the set R can cover O = {|x| < 1}.

Chasing_Time said:
Yes- this is all coming together now. I'm just unable to show that the set R can cover O = {|x| < 1}.

Pick a point y in O. Can't you show pretty easily that there is a rational rectangle that contains y but doesn't touch the boundary circle C={|x|=1}? The distance from y to C is positive.

Related to Ball in 2D plane as a countable union of rectangles

1. What is a 2D plane?

A 2D plane is a flat surface that extends infinitely in two dimensions, typically represented by a Cartesian coordinate system with an x-axis and a y-axis.

2. How is a ball represented in a 2D plane?

A ball in a 2D plane can be represented as a point with a specific x and y coordinate, or as a circle with a center point and a radius.

3. What does it mean for a ball to be a countable union of rectangles?

This means that the ball can be broken down into a finite or infinite number of rectangles that cover its entire surface. Each rectangle may have different dimensions and positions, but together they make up the entire ball.

4. Why is it important to understand a ball in a 2D plane as a countable union of rectangles?

Understanding a ball in this way allows us to use techniques from calculus, such as integration, to analyze its properties and behavior. It also helps us to visualize the ball in a more simplified manner.

5. Can a ball in a 2D plane be represented as a countable union of rectangles in any other way?

Yes, there are other ways to represent a ball as a countable union of rectangles, such as using polar coordinates or dividing the ball into smaller and smaller rectangles. However, the concept and principle remain the same regardless of the method used.