Open ball contained in another open ball

• Thread starter drag12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a metric space (X,d), where a1 and a2 are points in X and r1 and r2 are positive numbers. The problem asks to prove that if the open ball B1(a1,r1) is a proper subset of the open ball B2(a2,r2), then r1 must be less than r2. The conversation also explores whether it is always true that r1 is less than (3/2)*r2. The conversation ends with a request for help with the proof, as the person is struggling to find a relation between r1 and r2 when a2 is contained in B1.
drag12

Homework Statement

Let (X,d) be a metric space. Suppose that a1,a2 in X and r1,r2>0 are such that the open ball B1(a1,r1) is a proper subset of the open ball B2(a2,r2).
a) Prove that r1<r2.
b)Must it always be true that r1< (3/2)*r2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have that if a2 is not in B1, then d(a1,a2)>r1, but a1 is in B2 so d(a1,a2)<r2, therefore r2>d(a1,a2)>r1.
The problem I'm having is finding some relation between r1 and r2 when a2 is contained in B1 because I end up with d(a1,a2)<r1 and d(a1,a2)<r2 which doesn't help much.
Is there a better method than using two cases like I am?
I feel like this shouldn't be difficult and that I'm just missing something small but it's driving me crazy.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A problem I'm having with your proof is where you say that d(x,a2)<r1 implies x is in B1, doesn't it just imply that it is in some ball B(a2,r1), not B1? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like something isn't correct here, can you explain?

Edit: Oh, looks like he deleted his post before I replied, can anyone else help?

Related to Open ball contained in another open ball

1. What is an open ball contained in another open ball?

An open ball contained in another open ball is a set of points within a larger open ball that is completely contained within the larger ball. It is a subset of the larger open ball that shares the same center point, but has a smaller radius.

2. How is an open ball contained in another open ball represented mathematically?

An open ball contained in another open ball can be represented using set notation. For example, if the larger open ball has center point (a,b) and radius r, and the smaller open ball has center point (a,c) and radius r', then the smaller ball can be represented as {(x,y) | (x-a)^2 + (y-c)^2 < (r')^2}, which is a subset of the larger ball represented as {(x,y) | (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 < r^2}.

3. What is the purpose of studying open balls contained in another open ball?

Studying open balls contained in another open ball is important in understanding the properties and relationships of sets in mathematics. It can also be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Can an open ball contained in another open ball be equal to the larger open ball?

No, an open ball contained in another open ball can never be equal to the larger open ball. This is because the smaller ball has a smaller radius and therefore does not contain all the points that are in the larger ball.

5. Are there any real-life examples of open balls contained in another open ball?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of open balls contained in another open ball. For instance, a smaller circular swimming pool inside a larger circular pool, a smaller circular rug inside a larger circular rug, and a smaller wheel inside a larger wheel are all examples of open balls contained in another open ball.