Ball Lightning and Stars: Unveiling the Spectral Similarities

In summary, ball lightning is different from stars as it is not made up of hydrogen and helium plasma and does not maintain fusion. It is a plasma state of matter created by strong electromagnetism. While some anecdotes and fake images exist, there have also been scientific studies and observations of ball lightning, with some speculation on its composition and possible creation methods.
efdee
Has the spectrum of a ball lightning ever been photographed?
If so, does the spectrum look like the spectrum of any star?
Could one say: the ball lightning is the smallest existing star?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
efdee said:
Has the spectrum of a ball lightning ever been photographed?
Yes, see here https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.112.035001
efdee said:
If so, does the spectrum look like the spectrum of any star?
Stars and ball lightning are completely different things.

Likes davenn and Bandersnatch
Great images.
I guess the spectral lines correspond to the atmospherical gasses. Right?
(The gasses have not been mentioned.)

NFuller said:
Stars and ball lightning are completely different things.
Please tell me the essential difference apart from the location.

efdee said:
I guess the spectral lines correspond to the atmospherical gasses. Right?
(The gasses have not been mentioned.)
You can see the elements in the spectrum in Fig 4 b) & c). Shows iron, silicon, calcium, nitrogen and oxygen.

efdee said:
Please tell me the essential difference apart from the location.
A star is a ball of nearly pure hydrogen and helium plasma held together by self-gravity, with fusion reactions occurring in its core. The latter requirement means that it has to be at least as massive as 10 Jupiters.
A ball lighting is not as massive as 10+ Jupiters, hence can't maintain fusion. It's not held together by self-gravity. It's not made of helium and hydrogen plasma.
It is a ball, though.

Likes Rubidium_71, davenn and Drakkith
efdee said:
No, because typically a star is mostly hydrogen, and that is fusing into helium, because of gravity.
Ball lightning (if it really exists), is a plasma state of matter generated by strong electromagnetism, as is normal lightening.
Many weird tales and pictures of ball lightning exist, some of which are known to be fake.
I think this so called phenomena is in the same category as crop circles.

rootone said:
I think this so called phenomena is in the same category as crop circles.
Are you saying that articles published in scientific journals containing pictures and data of ball lightning are being faked by the scientists?

Although I think a few people have occasionally investigated crop circles, no one has ever seen one made by natural processes. Ball lightning has been directly observed descending from thunderstorm clouds.

Please. Keep this civil and responsible. Thanks! And yes, depending on the journal it is possible for really bad science to be published. That journal is a good peer reviewed journal.

I hope you're talking to rootone and not NFuller, who provided a reference. Rootone has essentially accused the authors of scientific misconduct: he needs to either retract that or back it up.

Getting back on topic, another difference is that a star produces its own energy. Ball lightning has only the energy it was created with.

Likes jim mcnamara
I will retract from the implication that ball lightning is always some kind of photographic prank, although it is sometimes.
What I don't like is the amount of hype and 'spiritual' woo associated with the subject,
and clearly made up anecdotes about it floating through somebodies house.

I think we are back on track. NFuller's citation and response was fine. rootone retracted.

I think it is possible for ball lightning to go into a house or building. My father told me a story of how my grandpa was in the barn with a hired hand during a thunderstorm in the 1930s in Iowa. A ball of lightning came into the barn through an opening and traveled along the top of a horizontal metal bar that held a litter cart, about 10 feet in the air. It traveled down the bar for a bit, then fell to the ground and exploded into sparks. The hired hand, my grandpa, and the cow next to them were absolutely terrified. Experience is believing. It wasn't my experience, but my father and grandpa are credible people. I don't think ball lightning is sustained by the same phenomena as conventional stars but they might share some characteristics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the above cited article, in post #2. here- I'll make it easy:

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v7/5

It deals with the question of what ball lightning is and might be as well as the spectrum issues.

Interesting quick read.

diogenesNY

Likes Thor2222
diogenesNY said:
Check out the above cited article, in post #2. here- I'll make it easy:

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v7/5

It deals with the question of what ball lightning is and might be as well as the spectrum issues.

Interesting quick read.

diogenesNY

Thank you. That was an interesting quick read. That's the first time I've seen speculation on that topic coupled with actual data.

I was once associated with triggered lightning experiments. It's relatively easy to get soil of any composition bombarded by lightning. Perhaps that could be used to create man-made ball lightning outside of the laboratory and capture it on camera.

1. What is ball lightning?

Ball lightning is a rare and unexplained atmospheric phenomenon that appears as a glowing, floating sphere of light. It is typically described as being the size of a grapefruit and can last for several seconds to several minutes.

2. How is ball lightning formed?

The exact mechanism of formation for ball lightning is still unknown. However, it is believed to occur during thunderstorms when lightning strikes the ground, causing a disruption of the Earth's magnetic field and resulting in the creation of a plasma ball.

3. Can ball lightning be dangerous?

There have been reports of ball lightning causing damage to buildings and injuring people, but these occurrences are extremely rare. It is generally considered to be a harmless phenomenon, as it typically dissipates quickly and does not cause any harm.

4. Are there any scientific explanations for ball lightning?

There are several theories that attempt to explain the phenomenon of ball lightning, such as plasma vortex rings, electrical discharges, and microwave radiation. However, none of these theories have been conclusively proven.

5. What is the connection between ball lightning and stars?

There is no known connection between ball lightning and stars. While both involve the presence of plasma, stars are massive celestial bodies, while ball lightning is a much smaller, atmospheric occurrence. Additionally, ball lightning is a short-lived phenomenon, while stars can exist for billions of years.