Balloon Vacuum: Pressure Calculation w/ R0, σ

In summary, the pressure inside the balloon increases as the radius of the balloon increases. However, the pressure depends on the external pressure as well, so it is not always directly proportional to the radius.
charlie05

Homework Statement

Balloon in vacuum, radius R0 = 5,0 cm, surface tension σ = 25 N/m.

a/ the pressure in the balloon p in,0 by radius R0………. pin,0 = ?

b/ relation to the pressure inside the balloon pin, depending on its radius R…?

c/relation to the pressure inside the balloon pin , depending on the pressure outside the balloon pout and on its radius R, surface tension is σ…….?

Homework Equations

a/ pin,0=4σ/R0 = 4.25/0,05 = 2kPa

b/ pin = 4σ/R

c/ pin = pout + 4σ/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
in B/ I have to use pressure p in 0...

p in = 4σ/R ...R = R0 + ΔR = R0 + ( R-R0)...p in = 4σ/R0 + ( R-R0)

If you add proper brackets to the denominators, you get the same result as in post 1.

so:?

p in = p in 0 + 4σ/ ( R- R0)

That looks wrong, no matter how I interpret the notation, and I don't see how you got it. In particular, it is undefined for the easiest case of R=R0.

Why do you want to change a correct answer?

Because I have to find dependence p in on p in 0 : Find the equation for the pressure p in inside the balloon, depending on the radius R, where
at radius R 0 is pressure p in 0

That's not what you write in post 1.
charlie05 said:
b/ relation to the pressure inside the balloon pin, depending on its radius R…?

Yes, it's true, I did not read the assignment to the end :-( I am sorrry...

charlie05 said:
Because I have to find dependence p in on p in 0 : Find the equation for the pressure p in inside the balloon, depending on the radius R, where
Your notation is hard to interpret, but I think you are saying:
With zero external pressure, the radius is R0 and the internal pressure is pin0.
With some unknown external pressure the radius is R; what is the internal pressure, pin, now?

If that is right, write out the equation for each of the two circumstances. Please use subscripts, as I have, to make the notation clearer. Use the X2 button above the text entry box.

Last edited:
b/ Find the equation for the pressure p in inside the balloon, depending on the radius R, where

charlie05 said:
b/ Find the equation for the pressure p in inside the balloon, depending on the radius R, where
Yes, that agrees with my interpretation. So what two equations can you write, one for the zero external pressure case and one for the general case?

in vacuum : ...pin = 4σ/R...for R0 ...pin0 = 4σ/R0
p in = 4σ/R ...R = R0 + ΔR = R0 + ( R-R0)...p in = 4σ/ (R0 + ( R-R0))
- But here now I can not express pin0

for the general case: pin = pout + 4σ/R

charlie05 said:
in vacuum : ...pin = 4σ/R...for R0 ...pin0 = 4σ/R0
p in = 4σ/R ...R = R0 + ΔR = R0 + ( R-R0)...p in = 4σ/ (R0 + ( R-R0))
- But here now I can not express pin0

for the general case: pin = pout + 4σ/R
It's all the same balloon and contents. What does not vary as the external pressure changes?

surface tension?

charlie05 said:
surface tension?
What else?

the amount of air in the balloon ?

charlie05 said:
the amount of air in the balloon ?
Right. What law can you use?

p1V1 =p2V2...?

charlie05 said:
p1V1 =p2V2...?
Yes. (You can assume the temperature is constant.)

pin0V0=pinV
pin = pin0*V0 / V = pin0 * (V0 / V ) = pin0 * (R03 / R3 ) ...?

charlie05 said:
pin0V0=pinV
pin = pin0*V0 / V = pin0 * (V0 / V ) = pin0 * (R03 / R3 ) ...?
Yes.

super..thanks very much :-)

charlie05 said:
super..thanks very much :-)
Ok, but what is your answer to the question, i.e. as an equation for pin in terms of pout, R and σ?

oh yes...pin = pout + 4σ/R...?

charlie05 said:
oh yes...pin = pout + 4σ/R...?
Sorry, my mistake... I meant the question posed in your post #7, where you need to find pin as a function of R, R0 and pin 0.

once again thank you very much for your help...

Related to Balloon Vacuum: Pressure Calculation w/ R0, σ

1. What is a "Balloon Vacuum" and how is it related to pressure calculation?

A "Balloon Vacuum" is a concept used in physics to describe a hypothetical space containing no particles or energy. In pressure calculation, the balloon vacuum is often used as a reference point to compare the pressure of a system to.

2. What is R0 in the context of "Balloon Vacuum: Pressure Calculation w/ R0, σ"?

R0 is a constant known as the gas constant, which is used in the ideal gas law to relate the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It is a fundamental constant in physics and is typically denoted by the symbol R.

3. What does σ represent in the equation for pressure calculation with a "Balloon Vacuum"?

σ represents the standard deviation, which is a measure of how spread out a set of data is from the mean. In the context of pressure calculation, σ is used to account for any variations or uncertainties in the pressure measurements being taken.

4. How is pressure calculated using the "Balloon Vacuum" method?

The pressure, P, can be calculated using the formula P = R0σ/V, where R0 is the gas constant, σ is the standard deviation, and V is the volume of the system. This equation assumes that the system is an ideal gas and that the measurements are taken at a constant temperature.

5. What are some real-world applications of "Balloon Vacuum" pressure calculation?

The "Balloon Vacuum" method of pressure calculation is commonly used in various scientific and engineering fields, such as in the study of atmospheric pressure, gas dynamics, and fluid mechanics. It is also used in the design and testing of pressure vessels, such as in the aerospace industry. Additionally, the concept of a "Balloon Vacuum" can also be applied in vacuum technology and the study of vacuum systems.