How to Calculate the Height a Helium Balloon Ascends Using Mass and Density

In summary, the problem involves a helium-filled spherical balloon with a radius of 40 cm tied to a uniform thread with a length of 2 meters and a mass of 50 grams. The balloon ascends a distance of h meters before stabilizing again. Given the empty balloon's mass of 250 grams and the densities of the thread and helium, the question is asking for the value of h. To solve this problem, one must determine the mass of the thread per unit length, which is 25 grams per meter. Then, using the equation m = 25h, where m is the mass of the thread in grams and h is the length of the thread in meters, one can algebraically solve for h.
vinamas

Homework Statement

A heluim filled spherical balloon with a radius of 40 cm got tied into a uniform thread (uniform density) the threads length is 2 meters and its mass is 50 g the balloon ascends when left and ascends a the thread for h meters before it stabalizes again given the empty balloon's mass of 250 g and the density of is 1.29 kg / m^3 and heluim's density of 0.179 find h.[/B]

Homework Equations

I don't really know but I think we need to use Fb and pressure(pascal)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 291
Physics news on Phys.org
Correct assessment so far. What is the mass per unit length of thread? If the thread is h meters long, what is the mass of the thread?

Chestermiller said:
Correct assessment so far. What is the mass per unit length of thread? If the thread is h meters long, what is the mass of the thread?
Chestermiller said:
50 grams as I stated

You stated that, if its length is 2 meters its mass is 50 grams, and I asked, if its length is h meters, what is its mass. Do you see the difference?

Chestermiller said:
You stated that, if its length is 2 meters its mass is 50 grams, and I asked, if its length is h meters, what is its mass. Do you see the difference?
Sorry I might have not been clear but 50 grams is the entire thread's mass and the only one give for the thread the problem doesn't give the mass for the length h

vinamas said:
Sorry I might have not been clear but 50 grams is the entire thread's mass and the only one give for the thread the problem doesn't give the mass for the length h
The first step in solving this problem is to determine from the information given what the mass of the string is if its length is h, rather than 2 meters.

Chestermiller said:
The first step in solving this problem is to determine from the information given what the mass of the string is if its length is h, rather than 2 meters.
I cannnot seem to find a way to do that

If 2 meters of the thread has a mass of 50 grams, what is the mass per unit length of thread (in grams per meter)?

25?
Chestermiller said:
If 2 meters of the thread has a mass of 50 grams, what is the mass per unit length of thread (in grams per meter)?

vinamas said:
25?
Good. Now, if the mass per unit length of the thread is 25 gm/m, and the length of the thread is h meters, what is the mass (in grams) of the thread (algebraically, in terms of h)?

Chestermiller said:
Good. Now, if the mass per unit length of the thread is 25 gm/m, and the length of the thread is h meters, what is the mass (in grams) of the thread (algebraically, in terms of h)?
25 per m-h?

vinamas said:
25 per m-h?
It's 25h grams. So, if h = 2 m, for example, the mass is 50 gm, and if h is 12 m, the mass is 300 gm. Does that make sense now?

Chestermiller said:
It's 25h grams. So, if h = 2 m, for example, the mass is 50 gm, and if h is 12 m, the mass is 300 gm. Does that make sense now?

yes but how do I find h ?

1. What is "Balloon Thread Height"?

"Balloon Thread Height" refers to the vertical distance between a balloon and the surface it is attached to. It is typically measured from the bottom of the balloon to the ground or ceiling.

2. How is "Balloon Thread Height" measured?

The most accurate way to measure "Balloon Thread Height" is by using a tape measure or ruler. Simply hold one end of the measuring tool at the bottom of the balloon and extend it to the surface it is attached to.

3. Why is "Balloon Thread Height" important in scientific research?

"Balloon Thread Height" can be an important factor in experiments involving balloons, such as studying the behavior of gases or air currents. It can also be used to measure the height of objects or structures in the environment.

4. Can "Balloon Thread Height" change over time?

Yes, "Balloon Thread Height" can change over time due to factors such as temperature, air pressure, or movement of the balloon or surface it is attached to. It is important to take these factors into account when conducting experiments.

5. Are there any tools or devices that can measure "Balloon Thread Height" automatically?

Yes, there are devices such as laser range finders or ultrasonic distance meters that can measure "Balloon Thread Height" automatically. However, these devices may not be as accurate as manual measurements and may also be affected by environmental factors.