Balls connected by string--momentum problem

• Thread starter erisedk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary: That's why you need to take a point of reference that moves with the initial horizontal velocity of one of the balls. In summary, two identical balls are connected by a massless and inextensible thread in gravity-free space. Each ball is given a velocity, one towards the other and the other perpendicular to the first, at t=0. The thread becomes taut at t=L/v, and remains taut for t>(L/v). The kinetic energy of the system will not always remain mv^2, as there is conservation of momentum in both the x and y directions.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Two identical balls are interconnected with a massless and inextensible thread. The system is in gravity free space with the thread just taut. Each ball is imparted a velocity v, one towards the other ball and the other perpendicular to the first, at t=0. Then,

(A)The thread will become taut at t=L/v
(B)the thread will become taut at some time t<(L/v)
(C)The thread will always remain taut for t>(L/v)
(D)The kinetic energy of the system will always remain mv^2.

The correct options are (A) and (C).

Homework Equations

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2
KE= 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no collision! How do I even start?

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

Two identical balls are interconnected with a massless and inextensible thread. The system is in gravity free space with the thread just taut. Each ball is imparted a velocity v, one towards the other ball and the other perpendicular to the first, at t=0. Then,

(A)The thread will become taut at t=L/v
(B)the thread will become taut at some time t<(L/v)
(C)The thread will always remain taut for t>(L/v)
(D)The kinetic energy of the system will always remain mv^2.

The correct options are (A) and (C).

Homework Equations

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2
KE= 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no collision! How do I even start?
Start by using some simple numbers for L and v and drawing a diagram of where the balls are after 1, 2 and 3 secs etc. e.g L = 3m and v = 1m/s.

That's not the problem. I get how the situation will look like when the string becomes taut. The string will form sort of a diagonal.

erisedk said:
That's not the problem. I get how the situation will look like when the string becomes taut. The string will form sort of a diagonal.
Maybe that's not correct. Maybe it isn't a sort of diagonal.

Oh ok. Then I don't know how they'll move. How do I draw a diagram at different instants of time? I don't know what their velocities are. I figured I could use momentum conservation and velocity of centre of mass to figure out their velocities, but I can't.

erisedk said:
Oh ok. Then I don't know how they'll move. How do I draw a diagram at different instants of time? I don't know what their velocities are. I figured I could use momentum conservation and velocity of centre of mass to figure out their velocities, but I can't.
Some basic trigonometry shows that the string becomes loose when the balls start to move. If you map the constant motion of both balls you will see when the string becomes taut again. After that conservation of momentum will be very important to see what happens.

I tried mapping it out. I think the string will become taut when the two balls lie in a straight line, one above the other. The time taken to get there will be L/v, as the ball with the horizontal acceleration has velocity v. So at t=L/v, it becomes taut, and I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way. However, how do I conserve momentum in order to figure out the velocities of the two particles?

Remember that momentum is conserved in each direction.

It may help to take the initial motion of one of the balls as the frame of reference.
When the string becomes taut again, that is a kind of collision.

So I used conservation of momentum along x and y directions, assuming that after the "collision " both the balls move with the same velocities in both x and y directions. So final velocity of each ball in x and y directions is v/2 so the resultant final velocity of each ball is v/root 2 , so the final kinetic energy is 2(1/2mv^2/2) which is clearly not equal to mv^2. Hence option (d) is incorrect. Thank you PeroK and haruspex :)

erisedk said:
So I used conservation of momentum along x and y directions, assuming that after the "collision " both the balls move with the same velocities in both x and y directions.
But they won't; the system will have angular momentum.

1. What is a "balls connected by string--momentum problem"?

A "balls connected by string--momentum problem" is a physics problem that involves two or more balls connected by a string and the transfer of momentum between them. This type of problem is commonly used to demonstrate concepts of conservation of momentum and energy in a system.

2. How do I solve a "balls connected by string--momentum problem"?

To solve a "balls connected by string--momentum problem", you will need to apply the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. This means that the total momentum and energy of the system before and after the interaction between the balls must remain constant. You will also need to use equations such as Newton's second law and the equations of motion to determine the final velocities of the balls.

3. What are some real-life examples of "balls connected by string--momentum problems"?

One example of a "balls connected by string--momentum problem" in real life is a game of pool or billiards. When the cue ball hits the other balls, the momentum is transferred between them, causing them to move in different directions. Another example is a Newton's cradle, where the momentum is transferred from one ball to the next as they swing back and forth.

4. What are the key concepts to remember when solving a "balls connected by string--momentum problem"?

The key concepts to remember when solving a "balls connected by string--momentum problem" are conservation of momentum and energy, and the use of equations such as Newton's second law and the equations of motion. It is also important to carefully consider the initial conditions and interactions between the balls, as well as any external forces acting on the system.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a "balls connected by string--momentum problem"?

One common mistake to avoid when solving a "balls connected by string--momentum problem" is forgetting to take into account the initial conditions and interactions between the balls. It is also important to make sure all units are consistent and to use the correct equations for the given situation. Additionally, it is important to double check calculations and use significant figures to ensure accurate results.