Basic interactions in the Standard Model

In summary, the Standard Model describes three fundamental interactions: weak interactions, strong interactions, and electromagnetic interactions. These are characterized by Lagrangian terms that involve more than one field. There are six interactions in total, including interactions between particles and the Higgs field. The Wikipedia article on the Standard Model provides a good introduction to these interactions. The Particle Data Group also has a comprehensive document with information on decays and interactions in the Standard Model. Additionally, the mathematical formulation of the Standard Model includes six interactions, with no inclusion of gravity.
thegirl
Hi,

Is there a list of basic interactions in the standard model? Does anyone know where I can find this list of basic interactions in the standard model?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a "basic" interaction (and what is a non-basic one)?
As usual, the Wikipedia article gives a good introduction.

mfb said:
What is a "basic" interaction (and what is a non-basic one)?
As usual, the Wikipedia article gives a good introduction.
I'm actually not sure which one is considered basic and non basic, I'm that lost. haha. Is a beta decay a basic interaction? Could you link the wikipedia page?

The fundamental interactions meant to be described by the Standard Model are the : weak interactions, strong interactions and electromagnetic interactions.
The beta decay you mentioned is a weak process...

I am assuming you are referring to decays and interactions between particles.

A beta decay is one involving the weak interaction, as I see ChrisVer also mentioned.

This huge document from the Particle Data Group (1600 pages) has information on pretty much everything in the standard model: http://pdg.lbl.gov/2015/download/rpp2014-Chin.Phys.C.38.090001.pdf

For example, the first 90 or so pages are dedicated to decays of various sorts. Depending on your level the way it is written could of course be a little overwhelming, but those are my five cents at least. Enjoy!

O an on page 80, I noticed, you have baryon decays, which might be what you are looking for!

Cheers
rjseen

Mathematically speaking, "interactions" in SM correspond to Lagrangian terms which include more than one field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model_(mathematical_formulation)

(the terms which include only one field are "kinetic terms", they describe propagation of particles through space without interaction, such as electron moving through empty space. Essentially, "electron interacts with itself" in such a way that it simply moves in a straight line with constant speed.
There are two "one field" terms which describe self-interaction of Higgs field which can't be seen as propagation; instead, they are responsible for phi=0 not being a minimum of energy).

Let's take the inventory of interaction terms:

- B*psi term (weak hypercharge field * fermion field)
- W*psi term (weak isospin field * fermion field)
- G*q term (gluon field * quark field)
- B*phi term (weak hypercharge field * Higgs field)
- W*phi term (weak isospin field * Higgs field)
- phi*psi term (Higgs field * fermion field)

Gravity does not exist in SM.

Thus we have six interactions in SM.

Related to Basic interactions in the Standard Model

What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in particle physics that describes the basic building blocks of matter and the fundamental forces that govern their interactions.

What are the basic interactions in the Standard Model?

The basic interactions in the Standard Model include the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, the electromagnetic force, and gravity (although gravity is not fully incorporated into the Standard Model).

What particles are involved in the Standard Model?

The particles involved in the Standard Model include quarks, leptons, and bosons. Quarks and leptons are the building blocks of matter, while bosons are particles that carry the fundamental forces.

How do particles interact in the Standard Model?

Particles interact through the exchange of bosons. For example, the strong nuclear force is mediated by the exchange of gluons between quarks, and the electromagnetic force is mediated by the exchange of photons between charged particles.

What is the significance of the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is significant because it has successfully predicted and explained a wide range of experimental results in particle physics. It also provides a framework for understanding the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.