Basic kinematics: projectile motion

In summary, the problem involves a physics book sliding off a horizontal tabletop with a given initial velocity and striking the floor in a certain amount of time. The goal is to find the height of the table and the horizontal distance from the edge of the table to the point of impact on the floor. The solution involves breaking up the book's initial velocity into components and using relevant equations to calculate the vertical and horizontal displacement. After correcting an error in the calculation, the height is determined to be 0.5m, which matches the book's answer. However, the horizontal distance given by the book is also 0.5m, which may indicate an error in the book or a mistake in the calculation.
Ryaners
This is a really basic problem but the answers I've gotten don't match up with the back of the book. I've been over it several times & can't understand where I'm going wrong - any pointers would be much appreciated!

1. Homework Statement

A physics book slides off a horizontal tabletop with a speed of 1.40m/s. It strikes the floor in 0.320s. Ignore air resistance. Find a) the height of the tabletop off the floor; b) the horizontal distance from the edge of the table to the point where the book strikes the floor.

Homework Equations

vf = vi + at
x = xi + vit + ½at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke up the book's initial velocity into components:
Vf-x = Vi-x = 1.40m/s
Vf-y = Vi-y +at = -gt = -3.14m/s

The height of the table = the magnitude of the vertical displacement y (using the top of the table as the origin):
y = yi + Vi-yt + ½at2 = 0 + 0 + ½(-9.8m/s2)(0.320s)2= -0.502m -> height = 0.502m
What the book gives for this is 1.13m.

The horizontal distance = magnitude of horizontal displacement x:
x = xi + Vi-xt + ½at2 = 0 + (1.40m/s)(0.320s) + 0 = 0.448m
What the book gives here is 0.502m (which is what I got for the height - which means I'm either completely mixed up or maybe the book is wrong?!)

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get vfy=-4.9m/s? Looks like you used t=.5s, which, as it happens, would give a height closer to 1.1m.

haruspex said:
How did you get vfy=-4.9m/s? Looks like you used t=.5s, which, as it happens, would give a height closer to 1.1m.
Yes, you're right, sorry! I've been trying other problems since getting stuck on this one & copied the wrong figure down from my rough work. It should be Vf-y = -3.136m/s

I'll edit that now.

Ryaners said:
Yes, you're right, sorry! I've been trying other problems since getting stuck on this one & copied the wrong figure down from my rough work. It should be Vf-y = -3.136m/s

I'll edit that now.
Then I agree with your 0.5m height.

Likes Ryaners

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is projected into the air and then falls under the influence of gravity.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the horizontal motion is constant and is not affected by gravity, while the vertical motion is affected by gravity and follows a parabolic path.

How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = v0 * t * cos(θ), where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and θ is the angle of projection.

What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile can be calculated using the equation H = (v0 * sin(θ))2 / (2 * g), where H is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory and speed of a projectile, causing it to deviate from its expected path. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion and can slow it down.