Basic linear algebra direct sum questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation used for sums of vector subspaces and the confusion around reusing a symbol as a dummy variable. It is concluded that the symbols used do not have any specific meaning and are simply used to represent arbitrary elements of F. This conversation can serve as a way to develop mathematical maturity.
Syrus

Homework Statement

I'm reading from the first edition of Axler's Linear algebra done right. In the section on sums of vector subspaces, he states:

U = {(x,0,0) ∈ F3 | x ∈ F}

W = {(y,y,0) ∈ F3 | y ∈ F}

and

1.7 U + W = {(x,y,0) ∈ F3 | x,y ∈ F}

However, shouldn't the answer be U + W = {(x+y,y,0) ∈ F3 | x,y ∈ F}? You could write z = x+y, but it seems incorrect to reuse x (instead of z) as a substitute variable in such a case- if this is at all what he's doing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Syrus said:

Homework Statement

I'm reading from the first edition of Axler's Linear algebra done right. In the section on sums of vector subspaces, he states:

U = {(x,0,0) ∈ F3 | x ∈ F}

W = {(y,y,0) ∈ F3 | y ∈ F}

and

1.7 U + W = {(x,y,0) ∈ F3 | x,y ∈ F}

However, shouldn't the answer be U + W = {(x+y,y,0) ∈ F3 | x,y ∈ F}? You could write z = x+y, but it seems incorrect to reuse x (instead of z) as a substitute variable in such a case- if this is at all what he's doing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to ignore the 1.7. I assume that's a copying artifact. Suppose I told you U + W = {(a,b,0) ∈ F^3 | a,b ∈ F}. Would you agree with that? x and y don't have much meaning outside of the outside of the defining statements.

Yes, I would agree with that since, as I said, reusing the x seems confusing.

Syrus said:
Yes, I would agree with that since, as I said, reusing the x seems confusing.

Ok, you seem to understand it well enough. And yeah, maybe reusing the symbol is confusing. But {(a,b,0) ∈ F^3 | a,b ∈ F} and {(x,y,0) ∈ F^3 | x,y ∈ F} mean exactly the same thing. Some symbols are 'dummys'. They don't have any meaning outside of the thing they define.

I see what you mean Dick. The symbol x simply represents an arbitrary element of F in each case- not necessarily the same one. I guess it's a matter of preference. This must be what they refer to as developing mathematical maturity, heh heh.

1. What is a direct sum in linear algebra?

A direct sum in linear algebra is a type of combination of two vector spaces, where the resulting space contains all possible combinations of the two original spaces. It is denoted by a plus sign (+) between the two spaces, and is often used in the context of subspaces.

2. How is a direct sum different from a direct product?

In a direct sum, the resulting space contains only the combinations of the two original spaces, while in a direct product, the resulting space contains all possible combinations of the two original spaces, including duplicates. In other words, a direct product is more inclusive than a direct sum.

3. How do I determine if two vector spaces are direct summands?

Two vector spaces are direct summands if their intersection is only the zero vector and their sum is the entire space. In other words, the intersection of two direct summands is trivial, and their sum is the direct sum of the two spaces.

4. Can a direct sum be written as a direct product?

Yes, a direct sum can be written as a direct product, but the reverse is not always true. In general, a direct product is more inclusive than a direct sum, so not all direct sums can be written as direct products.

5. How are direct sums used in linear algebra applications?

Direct sums are often used to simplify calculations and represent complex systems. They can also be used to break down a problem into smaller, more manageable parts. In addition, direct sums are useful in studying subspaces and their relationships within a larger vector space.