Basic Physics Ramp & Friction Question

In summary, to determine the magnitude of the applied force F at constant speed up a ramp inclined at 28° with a 90 kg box, we can use the equations Fnet = ma, Fg= mg, and Ff=uk(Fn). When the ramp is frictionless, the vertical force is 882N in the upward direction and the horizontal force is unknown.
olwyn
A 90 kg box is pushed by a horizontal force F at constant speed up a ramp inclined at 28°, as shown. Determine the magnitude of the applied force.
a. when the ramp is frictionless.
b) when the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.18.

Fnet = ma
Fg= mg
Ff=uk(Fn)

a) With upwards and right as positive and downwards and left as negative
i) After drawing a diagram, I broke the Fnet into its x and y components.
I determined Ffrictionx= Ffriction(cos28), Ffrictiony= Ffriction(sin28). I will not include these in the horizontal and vertical components as it is a frictionless surface.

Fnet y = ma
Fnormal - Fg = ma
Fn= m(a-g)
The object is not accelerating in the horizontal direction so a=0
Fn= m (-g)
Fn = 90kg (-(-9.8m/s^2))= 882N.
So the vertical force is 882N in the upward direction.

Fnet x= ma
Fpush= ma
Fp=(90kg)(a).

I don't know what the acceleration is in the horizontal direction so I'm not sure where to go from here.

b). Again, break into horizontal and vertical components with up/right as positive, down/left as negative.
Fnet y = ma
Fpush - Ffrictionx = ma
Fp - Ff(Cos28) = ma
Fp - (cos28) (uk)(Fn)= ma
Fp - (cos28(uk)(-mg))= ma
Fp= ma +140.2
... I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here, or if I am, where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
olwyn said:
I don't know what the acceleration is in the horizontal direction so I'm not sure where to go from here.
The speed is constant, what do you expect?
olwyn said:
Fpush= ma
No. Why should it? There is more than one force involved.

I don't understand your approach at (b), but try to solve (a) first.

1. What is the equation for calculating the force of friction on a ramp?

The equation for calculating the force of friction on a ramp is Ff = μFn, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and Fn is the normal force.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the force of friction?

The angle of the ramp affects the force of friction by increasing it as the angle increases. This is because the steeper the ramp, the greater the component of the weight of the object acting parallel to the surface, which increases the force of friction.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving while it is at rest, while kinetic friction is the force that acts against the motion of an object that is already in motion. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the force of friction?

The coefficient of friction directly affects the force of friction. A higher coefficient of friction means a stronger force of friction, while a lower coefficient of friction means a weaker force of friction.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the force of friction on a ramp?

The mass of an object has a direct relationship with the force of friction on a ramp. As the mass of the object increases, the force of friction also increases. This is because a heavier object exerts a greater normal force on the surface, resulting in a stronger force of friction.