Dynamics ramp and friction. Finding angle?

If upslope is positive then Ff=+10N, Fg=-mg sin(θ).In summary, a 3.0 kg block is released from the top of a rough ramp and accelerates down the ramp at 1.6m/s^2. With a force of kinetic friction of 10 N acting on the block, the angle of the ramp can be determined using the equation ff+fgparallel=ma, where ff is the force of friction, fgparallel is the component of gravity parallel to the ramp, and ma is the net force on the block. By plugging in the given values and solving for theta, it is found that the angle of the ramp is 30 degrees. However, the
britt6

Homework Statement

A 3.0 kg block is released from the top of a rough ramp of length 2.0m and accelerates down the ramp at 1.6m/s^2. If a force of kinetic friction of 10 N acts on the block, what is the angle of the ramp.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
ff=(mu? I don't have that symbol HAHA) muFn

The Attempt at a Solution

m=3.0kg
l=2.0m
a=1.6m/s^2
ff=10Nif Fnet=ma... then

ff+fgparallel=ma
ma-ff=fgparallel
ma-ff=mgsintheta
ma-ff/mg=sintheta
then take inverse to get theta..

Now what! answer should be 30 but when I put in the values I get 10 degrees. help please

Physics news on Phys.org
britt6 said:
ma-ff/mg=sintheta
What are you plugging in for ff here? This may be where the mistake is.

NFuller said:
What are you plugging in for ff here? This may be where the mistake is.

I just thought because the question states that there is a kinetic force of friction and acceleration, there are unbalanced forces, meaning you need an Fnet. Therefore I plug in Ff kinetic to complete that idea.

britt6 said:
Therefore I plug in Ff kinetic to complete that idea.
Oh, right. I missed that they gave you the force of friction in the problem.
britt6 said:
ff+fgparallel=ma
You have a sign mistake here, it should be
$$-F_{f}+F_{g}=ma$$
because the vectors for friction and gravity point in opposite directions.

britt6 said:
mu?
When editing a post, there is a line of symbols above the text area. If you click on the Σ symbol a couple of lines of special characters will appear below the text area. Click those as necessary.
Please also use the subscript and superscript as appropriate (x2, X2). Later on you might advance to using LaTeX.
NFuller said:
You have a sign mistake here, it should be
$$-F_{f}+F_{g}=ma$$
because the vectors for friction and gravity point in opposite directions.
That depends on the sign convention chosen. If Britt chooses the same direction as positive for all forces and accelerations (a good approach often) then the equation for parallel to the plane is $$\Sigma F=F_{f}+F_{g}=ma$$
The negative sign comes in when values are plugged in. If downslope is positive then Ff=-10N, Fg=+mg sin(θ).

1. What is a dynamics ramp?

A dynamics ramp is a sloped surface that is used to change the direction and speed of an object's motion. It can be used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion and to study the effects of forces, such as friction, on an object's movement.

2. How does friction affect dynamics ramp experiments?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object and it plays a significant role in dynamics ramp experiments. Friction can cause an object to slow down or stop completely, depending on the surface it is moving on and the amount of force applied. It is important to consider friction when studying the movement of objects on a dynamics ramp.

3. How can the angle of a dynamics ramp affect an object's motion?

The angle of a dynamics ramp can greatly impact an object's motion. A steeper ramp will require more force to move an object up it, while a shallower ramp will require less force. The angle also affects the speed and direction of the object's movement, as a steeper ramp will increase the speed of the object and a shallower ramp will decrease the speed.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of a dynamics ramp and friction?

The angle of a dynamics ramp and friction have an inverse relationship. As the angle of the ramp increases, the amount of friction also increases. This is because a steeper ramp requires more force to overcome the increased friction, while a shallower ramp requires less force.

5. How can the angle of a dynamics ramp be determined?

The angle of a dynamics ramp can be determined using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The angle can also be measured directly using a protractor. It is important to accurately determine the angle of the ramp in order to properly analyze the results of dynamics ramp experiments.