Basic Wiring Help: Learn How to Wire an Instrument

• Thread starter PetePetePete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wiring
In summary, the conversation discusses using an On-Off-On switch to select between two power systems for an electrical instrument that requires a 12V feed. The feed must run through a 3A circuit breaker and the user is unsure of which terminals to use on the switch and circuit breaker. The instrument is expensive and the user wants to ensure proper wiring. The conversation also mentions using a battery switch for added safety and the possibility of using both batteries simultaneously.
PetePetePete
Hi,

I have an electrical instrument which needs a 12V feed.

I have 2 power systems, and I want to select between them using an On-Off-On switch. I presume an SPDT is appropriate?

I need to run the feed to the instrument through a 3A circuit breaker.

Please could someone explain how I should wire this up? I am not sure which terminals on the Switch and CB I should use!

The instrument is expensive, and I need to be sure this is done properly!

I have attached a graphic of what I mean.

Many Thanks
Pete

Attachments

• Wiring.png
    Wiring.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 425
Engineering news on Phys.org
Attached is what I think needs to be done, but would appreciate someone confirming?

Thanks

Attachments

• Wiring2.png
    Wiring2.png
    30 KB · Views: 440
Likes anorlunda
Is this the only load to be served by those two batteries? If there are many, and if they may be large, then it is safest to use a "battery switch" for the ON-OFF-ON function in PetePetePete's diagram. They use a make-before-break system that prevents interruption before switching. They also include the ALL or BOTH position to use both batteries at once.

bat_switch.jpg

1. What is the purpose of wiring an instrument?

Wiring an instrument allows for the flow of electricity to power the instrument and its components, allowing it to function properly.

2. What are the basic components needed for wiring an instrument?

The basic components needed for wiring an instrument include wires, a power source, switches, and connectors. Depending on the specific instrument, additional components such as resistors, capacitors, and diodes may also be required.

3. How do I determine the correct wiring diagram for my instrument?

The correct wiring diagram for an instrument can usually be found in the instrument's manual or online. If not, it is important to consult a professional or refer to the manufacturer's website for assistance.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when wiring an instrument?

Yes, it is important to always turn off the power source and use caution when handling wires and other components to avoid electric shock. It is also recommended to wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses.

5. Can I wire my instrument without any prior experience?

While it is possible to wire an instrument without prior experience, it is highly recommended to seek assistance from a professional or someone with experience to ensure proper wiring and avoid potential hazards.