Basis for the space of solutions (ODE)

In summary: I can only tick 'one', 'two' etc. I can't add the set notation. Perhaps 'none' of possibilities is the right answer. :) This is annoying. :(
Poetria

Homework Statement

The equation given:

dy/dt = 3*y

A basis for the space of solutions is required.

The Attempt at a Solution

According to me it is e^(3*t) but it has turned out false. Why? I am considering the answer "The basis is the set of all functions of the form c*e^(3*t) but a different example was described as follows:
"The vector space of solutions to a homogeneous ODE consists of infinitely many functions. To describe it compactly, we give a basis of the vector space. In this case, the basis has only 2 functions."

Is it possible that my answer is correct and there is a bug here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Poetria said:

Homework Statement

The equation given:

dy/dt = 3*y[/B]

According to me it is e^(3*t) but it has turned out false. Why? I am considering the answer "The basis is the set of all functions of the form c*e^(3*t) but a different example was described as follows:
"The vector space of solutions to a homogeneous ODE consists of infinitely many functions. To describe it compactly, we give a basis of the vector space. In this case, the basis has only 2 functions."

[/B]

What is their basis? What is the vector space you are working in? Those are essential things to know.

You are right to say that ##y(t) = Ae^{3t}## is the solution of this differential equation.

Poetria said:

Homework Statement

The equation given:

dy/dt = 3*y[/B]

[/B]
You are correct that the function ##e^{3t}## is a basis for the solution space. Perhaps the problem is typing it in a particular format for an online problem? Maybe they want something like ##\{e^{3t}\}##. In any case, you do understand it correctly.

Likes Poetria
LCKurtz said:
You are correct that the function ##e^{3t}## is a basis for the solution space. Perhaps the problem is typing it in a particular format for an online problem? Maybe they want something like ##\{e^{3t}\}##. In any case, you do understand it correctly.

Many thanks. :) It is the main thing to understand it correctly. :) I will ask if this is a technical problem with a grader.

Poetria said:
Many thanks. :) It is the main thing to understand it correctly. :) I will ask if this is a technical problem with a grader.
I will guess that they want the set notation, since a basis is a set of functions. In this case, a set containing a single function.

Likes Poetria
LCKurtz said:
I will guess that they want the set notation, since a basis is a set of functions. In this case, a set containing a single function.

I can only tick 'one', 'two' etc. I can't add the set notation. Perhaps 'none' of possibilities is the right answer. :) This is annoying.

1. What is the basis for the space of solutions in an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

The basis for the space of solutions in an ODE is a set of linearly independent functions that satisfy the given differential equation. These functions form the building blocks for all possible solutions to the equation.

2. How do you determine the basis for the space of solutions in an ODE?

The basis for the space of solutions can be determined by solving the differential equation and finding a set of linearly independent solutions. These solutions can then be used to construct the general solution to the equation.

3. Can the basis for the space of solutions change for different ODEs?

Yes, the basis for the space of solutions can change for different ODEs. It depends on the specific form of the differential equation and the initial or boundary conditions given.

4. What is the significance of the basis for the space of solutions in an ODE?

The basis for the space of solutions is important because it allows us to express the general solution to an ODE in terms of a linear combination of these basis functions. This provides a more efficient and systematic way of solving ODEs compared to finding individual solutions.

5. How does the basis for the space of solutions relate to the order of an ODE?

The order of an ODE refers to the highest derivative present in the equation. The basis for the space of solutions will contain as many linearly independent functions as the order of the ODE. For example, a second-order ODE will have a basis of two linearly independent functions.