Basis vectors and abstract index notation

In summary, the author is using abstract index notation in their general relativity articles and is trying to express the equation T^{a}_{b} = C(dt)^{a}(∂_{t})_{b} + D(∂_{t})^{a}(dt)_{b} using covector and vector basis, but the usual rules for raising and lowering indices still apply.
branislav
First of all, I'd like to say hi to all the peole here on the forum!

Now to my question:

When reading some general relativity articles, I came upon this strange notation:

T[itex]^{a}[/itex][itex]_{b}[/itex] = C(dt)[itex]^{a}[/itex](∂[itex]_{t}[/itex])[itex]_{b}[/itex] + D(∂[itex]_{t}[/itex])[itex]^{a}[/itex](dt)[itex]_{b}[/itex]. Can someone please explain to me what this means? Clearly the author is trying to use the abstract index notation but I'm used to think of dx[itex]^{i}[/itex] as the covector basis and ∂[itex]_{i}[/itex] as the vector basis thus you're not allowed to change the co- or contravariance of these in an expression.

Thank you,
Branislav

Physics news on Phys.org
Follow the usual rules for raising and lowering indices, e.g.[tex]
(dt)_a = g_{ab}\,(dt)^b
[/tex]

Related to Basis vectors and abstract index notation

1. What are basis vectors?

Basis vectors are the fundamental vectors used to describe a vector space. They are typically represented by unit vectors in a specific direction, such as the x, y, and z axes in three dimensions.

2. How are basis vectors related to abstract index notation?

In abstract index notation, basis vectors are represented by abstract indices, such as i, j, and k. These indices are used to label the components of a vector or tensor in a coordinate-independent way, making it easier to perform calculations and transformations.

3. Can you explain the concept of dual basis vectors?

Dual basis vectors are a set of vectors that are orthogonal to the basis vectors of a vector space. They are used in abstract index notation to represent the components of a dual vector or covector, which is a linear functional that maps vectors to scalars.

4. How do you convert between basis vectors and abstract indices?

To convert between basis vectors and abstract indices, you can use the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that relates the components of a vector or tensor to the basis vectors. By raising or lowering indices, the metric tensor allows you to switch between abstract indices and basis vectors.

5. Why is abstract index notation useful in physics and mathematics?

Abstract index notation is useful because it allows for a coordinate-independent representation of vectors and tensors, making it easier to perform calculations and transformations without being limited by a specific coordinate system. It also simplifies complex equations and makes them more concise and elegant.