Basketball force/momentum problem

• Thread starter quark001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basketball
In summary, the ball is compressed by 0.3m when its speed is momentarily zero, and the force on the ball is F = (0.5kg)*(0.3m/s2) = 0.06N.
quark001
A basketball hits a wall at a speed of 20m.s-1 and leaves the wall at the same speed. At the moment when the ball's speed is momentarily zero, the ball is compressed by 0.3m. The mass of the ball is 0.5kg. Determine the force on the ball (exerted by the wall).

Getting change in momentum is easy, but how do you get from there to the force? No time interval is given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that the ball is compressed by 0.3m at the moment when its speed reaches zero.

Last edited:
It's not clear whether the question is asking for average force or the force when at maximum compression. Either way, I would assume the ball acts as a spring, so the compression phase will be SHM.

Just to clarify: the question is asking for the average force. In fact we are assuming that the force is constant for the time of contact.

The change in kinetic energy from the moment of contact to the moment at which the ball is at rest is (1/2)mv2

This must be equal to the work done by the force. If the force is F, and the ball moves a distance 0.3m during this time, what is the work done?

Last edited:
dx said:
The change in kinetic energy from the moment of contact to the moment at which the ball is at rest is (1/2)mv2

This must be equal to the work done by the force. If the force is F, and the ball moves a distance 0.3m during this time, what is the work done?

It is possible, even likely, that that is the approach the question intends. However, it gives the wrong answer. Unless stated otherwise, the average of a quantity that varies over time should be taken as the average wrt time: ∫F.dt/∫dt. The average wrt distance, ∫F.dx/∫dx, will in general give a different answer.
E.g., suppose I go 10km at 10km/h, then 10km at 40km/h. My average speed is 16km/h, right? But if I average over distance I get (10km * (10km/h) + 10 km * (40km/h))/(10+10) = 25km/h.

I was simply assuming that the force was a constant, like quark001 said, but yes you're right about average force.

dx said:
I was simply assuming that the force was a constant, like quark001 said,
Fair enough, but I do wish textbooks/teachers wouldn't set questions like this. It's misleading. The difference, fwiw, is that assuming constant force will give an acceleration of v2/2d, whereas an elastic bounce (SHM) gives v2/πd.

Thanks guys!

1. What is force and momentum in basketball?

Force and momentum are two important concepts in physics that are relevant to the game of basketball. Force is an external push or pull on an object, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. In basketball, force is seen in the actions of players pushing against each other to gain position or in the ball being pushed towards the hoop. Momentum is seen in the movement of players running down the court or in the ball flying through the air towards the basket.

2. How is force and momentum related to shooting a basketball?

When a player shoots a basketball, they exert a force on the ball by pushing it from their hand towards the hoop. This force, combined with the mass of the ball, gives the ball momentum. The ball will continue to move towards the hoop with this momentum until it is acted upon by an external force, such as hitting the rim or backboard. The angle and speed at which the ball is released also affect the force and momentum of the ball, and therefore its trajectory towards the hoop.

3. Why is understanding force and momentum important for basketball players?

Understanding force and momentum can help basketball players improve their skills and performance on the court. By understanding the principles of force and momentum, players can better control their movements and the movements of the ball. This can help with shooting accuracy, passing, and overall coordination. Additionally, understanding these concepts can also help players anticipate and react to the movements of their opponents, giving them a competitive advantage.

4. How do collisions in basketball demonstrate the principles of force and momentum?

Collisions, or contact between players or between a player and the ball, are a common occurrence in basketball. During a collision, force and momentum are exchanged between the objects involved. For example, when two players collide while fighting for a rebound, they exert a force on each other and their momentum changes. This can result in one player gaining possession of the ball or causing the other player to lose their balance and fall.

5. Can force and momentum be used to explain the physics behind basketball tricks and moves?

Yes, force and momentum can be used to explain the physics behind popular basketball tricks and moves. For example, a crossover dribble involves quickly changing direction and pushing off with one foot to generate a force that propels the player in the opposite direction. This move also demonstrates the conservation of momentum, as the player's momentum shifts from one direction to the other. By understanding these principles, players can execute these moves more effectively and efficiently.