Basketball hangtime physics problem

In summary, the problem involves a basketball player jumping 75.4 cm vertically and determining the total time spent in the top and bottom 13.3 cm of the jump. The equations used are vf^2=vi^2-2ay and d=v/t, and the correct answer for part (a) is 0.3325 seconds. However, for part (b), the equation used, dy=vit-.5gt^2, does not account for both ascent and descent, resulting in an incorrect answer.
wbetting

Homework Statement

A basketball player grabbing a rebound jumps 75.4 cm vertically. How much total time (ascent and descent) does the player spend (a) in the top 13.3 cm of this jump and (b) in the bottom 13.3 cm? Do your results explain why such players seem to hang in the air at the top of a jump?

Homework Equations

vf^2=vi^2-2ay
d=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

i got part a correct by using vf^2=vi^2-2ay to find 1.6 m/s then i used d=v/t which i rewrote as t=2y/vi+vf and got .3325 for my answer which was correct. then part b came and i tried to use dy=vit-.5gt^2 and i got .0767 which was wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wbetting!

wbetting said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i got part a correct by using vf^2=vi^2-2ay to find 1.6 m/s then i used d=v/t which i rewrote as t=2y/vi+vf and got .3325 for my answer which was correct. then part b came and i tried to use dy=vit-.5gt^2 and i got .0767 which was wrong

You need to find the total time the basketball player is in both ascent and descent. Your equation will only give you one of those. :wink:

Related to Basketball hangtime physics problem

1. What is hangtime in basketball?

Hangtime in basketball refers to the amount of time a player stays in the air while performing a jump or a dunk. It is a measure of the player's vertical leap and is affected by various factors such as their strength, speed, and technique.

2. How is hangtime calculated in basketball?

Hangtime is calculated by using the formula: t = 2(v/g), where t is the hangtime, v is the vertical velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This formula assumes that the player jumps straight up and down without any horizontal movement.

3. What factors affect hangtime in basketball?

The main factors that affect hangtime in basketball are the player's strength, speed, and technique. A stronger player with a faster approach and a good jumping technique will have a longer hangtime compared to a weaker player with a slower approach and poor technique. Other factors such as the player's height, body composition, and the shoe's grip can also influence hangtime to some extent.

4. How does air resistance affect hangtime in basketball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect hangtime in basketball by slowing down the player's vertical velocity and thus reducing the amount of time they spend in the air. This is why basketball players often try to minimize their body surface area and wear tight-fitting clothes to reduce air resistance and increase their hangtime.

5. Can hangtime be improved in basketball?

Yes, hangtime can be improved in basketball by working on the factors that affect it, such as strength, speed, and technique. Strength training, plyometrics, and practicing proper jumping mechanics can help increase a player's hangtime. Additionally, having a strong core and good overall fitness can also contribute to improved hangtime.