Bcs theroy, just an easy algebraic manipulation

In summary, the formula 3.35 on page 61 in Tinkham's book can be found by using algebraic manipulation of equations (3.29c) and the normalization condition. By adding and subtracting the equations and dividing by 2, one can obtain the values for u^2 and v^2.
Derivator
bcs theroy, just an "easy" algebraic manipulation

Hi folks,

i'm sitting here for hous and I'm wondering, how one can find formula 3.35' on page 61 in Tinkham's book: http://books.google.de/books?id=k6A...superconductivity&pg=PA61#v=onepage&q&f=false

I think, it should be possible to find this formula just with some algebraic manipulation of

|u|^2 + |v|^2 = 1
and
|v/u| = (E - xi)/|Delta|

However, I can't see how... I'm getting nuts...

--
derivator

Physics news on Phys.org

Derivator said:
I think, it should be possible to find this formula just with some algebraic manipulation of

|u|^2 + |v|^2 = 1
and
|v/u| = (E - xi)/|Delta|

It is possible, but it's much easier to do as the author suggested and use (3.29c) together wuith the normalization condition:

[tex]u^2+v^2=1[/itex]
[tex]v^2-u^2=-\frac{\xi}{E}[/tex]

...add the two equations together, divide by 2 and you get [itex]v^2[/itex]
...subtract the 2nd from the 1st and divide by 2 and you get [itex]u^2[/itex]

Thank you!

Related to Bcs theroy, just an easy algebraic manipulation

1. What is the Bcs theory?

The Bcs theory, also known as the Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer theory, is a scientific explanation for the phenomenon of superconductivity. It describes how electrons pair up and move through a material without resistance at extremely low temperatures.

2. How does Bcs theory relate to algebraic manipulation?

Bcs theory uses algebraic manipulation to describe the behavior of electrons in a superconductor. By using mathematical equations, scientists can better understand the properties of superconducting materials and make predictions about their behavior.

3. Can Bcs theory be applied to all superconductors?

No, Bcs theory can only be applied to certain types of superconductors known as conventional superconductors. It cannot fully explain the behavior of unconventional superconductors, which require more complex theories.

4. Has Bcs theory been proven?

While Bcs theory has been widely accepted in the scientific community and has been supported by many experiments, it has not been definitively proven. Some aspects of the theory are still being studied and refined.

5. What are the practical applications of Bcs theory?

Bcs theory has led to the development of superconducting materials that can be used in a variety of applications, such as in MRI machines, particle accelerators, and power transmission. It also continues to be studied and may lead to further advancements in technology and understanding of materials.