Be a Scientist: Mech Engr, Physics & Maths Requirements

• Thread starter iscofield
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, if you are interested in a career in science, it's a lot of work and you'll likely fall behind your peers in normal adult life milestones.
iscofield
i have always dream to be a scientist so pplease i need some one to help me list the requirements, and some easy materials i could use base on mech Engineering and subjects like physics and maths. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you already know in math and physics?

iscofield said:
i have always dream to be a scientist so pplease i need some one to help me list the requirements, and some easy materials i could use base on mech Engineering and subjects like physics and maths. Thanks

Requirements, in brief:

1. Get a college degree in some branch of science (your choice).
2. Get a Ph.D. in that branch of science.
3. Don't expect it to be easy, and be willing to learn.

The standard career path for a scientist is to major in the science of your choice, and then enroll in the phd program. For most scientists, the phd program+a postdoc is the length of their science career- that's about a decade of doing science for less than minimum wage. Most scientists then bounce out of their field and start only tangentially related careers (IT work, high school teaching, etc).

You will fall behind your peers in the typical halmarks of adulthood during your decade doing science. You will start a family later, have kids later, own a house later, etc. You'll either retire later, or have a poorer lifestyle upon retirement. If you are ok with that, then fantastic. That decade of science will be looked back on fondly.

thanks everyone

ParticleGrl said:
The standard career path for a scientist is to major in the science of your choice, and then enroll in the phd program. For most scientists, the phd program+a postdoc is the length of their science career- that's about a decade of doing science for less than minimum wage. Most scientists then bounce out of their field and start only tangentially related careers (IT work, high school teaching, etc).

You will fall behind your peers in the typical halmarks of adulthood during your decade doing science. You will start a family later, have kids later, own a house later, etc. You'll either retire later, or have a poorer lifestyle upon retirement. If you are ok with that, then fantastic. That decade of science will be looked back on fondly.

Not sure I agree with that assessment...a lot of jobs that new physics Phds qualify for have similar salaries to new MBA's, for example, and people getting a phd are usually a similar age to people getting an MBA. Of course the MBA has some work experience where they've actually made money, but they've also lost most of it on the MBA itself. Of course, that assumes actually being lucky enough to get a job in this economy (I'm graduating next year, so we'll see how I do).

Related to Be a Scientist: Mech Engr, Physics & Maths Requirements

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and physics?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, while physics is a natural science that studies the fundamental principles of matter and energy. Mechanical engineering often applies principles of physics to design and build practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. Do I need to be good at math to be a mechanical engineer or physicist?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for both mechanical engineering and physics. Both fields require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to solve complex problems and develop new theories.

3. What are the job prospects for mechanical engineers and physicists?

The job prospects for both mechanical engineers and physicists are generally positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of mechanical engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, while employment of physicists and astronomers is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029.

4. What skills do I need to be successful as a mechanical engineer or physicist?

Some important skills for both mechanical engineers and physicists include problem-solving, critical thinking, creativity, and attention to detail. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with colleagues and presenting findings to others.

5. Can I specialize in both mechanical engineering and physics?

While it is possible to have a background in both fields, it is more common for individuals to specialize in one or the other. However, there are some areas of overlap where individuals may use both their mechanical engineering skills and knowledge of physics, such as in the fields of biomechanics or materials science.