Beam-Column Analysis(looking for reading material)

In summary, for further analysis of the acme rod and nut system, it is recommended to use finite element analysis software and consult resources on FEA and structural mechanics, such as "Finite Element Analysis: Theory and Application with ANSYS" by Saeed Moaveni and "Nonlinear Finite Elements for Continua and Structures" by Ted Belytschko. Additionally, for determining the maximum displacement of the acme rod, both FEA and analytical methods can be used, and suggested titles for further reading include "Structural Analysis" by Russell C. Hibbeler.
Michael24
Refer to Attachment:
Acme Rod (Segment AD)
Thrust Bearing (Point A & D)
Nut (Point C)
Platform (Segment CB): Force is applied to the platformScenario:
The rotational motion (due to the input torque) of the acme rod is used to translate the platform (due to the translation of the nut) with the applied force.

1. Assume the platform is fixed to the nut
2. The following are known: Applied Force, Input Torque, acme rod dimensions and material properties, acme rod end support, Location of applied force, Location of platform.My Work:
I performed eigenvalue buckling with the following assumptions:
1. Assumed Static Equilibrium
2. Assumed the applied force was axially applied at the top of the acme rod
3. Assumed linear buckling and non eccentric loading
4. acme rod end condition: Fix-Fix
I then determined the critical load

********(Help)**********
If it makes sense, I'd like to perform
1. eccentric, nonlinear, and post buckling analysis for the acme rod,
2. Determine the max displacement of the acme rod such that the nut can not longer transverse.

What I've Found:
in regards to:
(1) above: Reading material on wide flanged cross sections. I can't find material on circular cross sections.
(2) above: Nothing.

********(Finally)**********
Please guide me to reading material on
1. For Circular Cross Section: eccentric, nonlinear, and post buckling analysis for the acme rod,
2. Determine the max displacement of the acme rod such that the nut can not longer transverse.Thank you

Attachments

• buc.docx
    42.3 KB · Views: 204
Physics news on Phys.org
for your post and for sharing your work! Your analysis and assumptions seem reasonable for determining the critical load in this scenario. To further your analysis, I would suggest looking into finite element analysis (FEA) software, as it can handle nonlinear and post-buckling behavior more accurately than analytical methods. There are many FEA software options available, such as ANSYS, Abaqus, and SolidWorks Simulation, and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. I recommend researching and comparing these options to find the best fit for your specific needs and budget.

In terms of reading material, I would suggest looking into textbooks or online resources on FEA and structural mechanics. Some recommended titles include "Finite Element Analysis: Theory and Application with ANSYS" by Saeed Moaveni, "Nonlinear Finite Elements for Continua and Structures" by Ted Belytschko, and "Structural Analysis" by Russell C. Hibbeler. These resources should provide you with the necessary information on performing eccentric, nonlinear, and post-buckling analysis for circular cross sections.

As for determining the maximum displacement of the acme rod, you can use FEA to simulate the nut's translation and observe the acme rod's behavior under different displacement values. Alternatively, you can also use analytical methods such as the deflection formula for a fixed-fixed beam to estimate the maximum displacement.

I hope this helps guide you in your analysis and leads you to the appropriate resources. Best of luck with your work!

1. What is beam-column analysis?

Beam-column analysis is a method used in structural engineering to analyze the behavior and strength of a structural element that is subjected to both bending and axial forces. It is commonly used in the design of reinforced concrete structures such as beams, columns, and beam-column connections.

2. What are the main components of a beam-column analysis?

The main components of a beam-column analysis include the loading conditions, material properties, geometric properties, support conditions, and boundary conditions. These factors are used to determine the internal forces and stresses within the structural element.

3. What are the different types of beam-column connections?

The three main types of beam-column connections are rigid, semi-rigid, and pinned connections. A rigid connection does not allow any relative movement between the beam and column, while a pinned connection allows for rotation. Semi-rigid connections have some degree of stiffness and allow for partial movement.

4. How is beam-column analysis used in the design process?

Beam-column analysis is used in the design process to ensure that a structural element can withstand the anticipated loads and forces without failure. It helps engineers determine the appropriate size and reinforcement for the beam and column, as well as the type of connection that will provide the necessary level of support.

5. What are some common assumptions made in beam-column analysis?

Some common assumptions made in beam-column analysis include the assumption of linear elastic behavior, small displacements, and small strains. It is also assumed that the material properties and loading conditions are known and uniform throughout the structural element, and that the beam and column are connected by a rigid or semi-rigid connection.