Beam splitter, one photon, one detector?

In summary, the two detectors in case #2 will be continuously triggered as they are continuously illuminated, while in case #3 the two detectors are not equidistant and the chance of one going off is 50 percent.
Idunno
I would like to know the results of a few scenarios with a beam splitter.
Quantenzufallsgenerator.jpg

(1) You send a single photon through a half silvered mirror with a reflector at either side, as above, but instead of having two detectors, and a 50% chance of either going off, you just have one detector, and where the other detector should be, there is just empty space for a long distance. What is the chance of the one detector going off? 100%? 50%?

(2) Same as before, but with a laser beam, not just one photon at a time, any difference?

(3) Two detectors, one photon at a time, but detectors are not equidistant, one further than the other.

Thanks, I am curious as to the results of this, but can't find an easy source.

Attachments

• Quantenzufallsgenerator.jpg
    Quantenzufallsgenerator.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,156
Physics news on Phys.org
Well:

1) 50 percent
2) 50 percent
3) 50 percent

any objections ?

Likes vanhees71
As I understand the problem, in case #2 both detectors will be continuously triggered (if their construction allows it) as they're both continuously illuminated.

Thanks for the reply(s).

Follow up question if you don't mind: What if, in a double slit experiment, you rotate the detector screen by 45 degrees or so? Usually the detector screen is parallel to the wall with the slits in it, but now it's at an angle. This make a difference? More intense signal at the edge closest to the slits perhaps?

The issue in my mind is: what if some of the wavefunction encounters a detector before the rest of the wavefunction encounters anything at all? In the case of the beamsplitter and one detector, "half" of the wavefunction encounters a detector, and the other half encounters nothing, can this make a difference to how collapse happens? Same deal with the rotated screen?

Last edited:
Idunno said:
can this make a difference to how collapse happens?
This question is much easier to handle if you don't use a collapse interpretation. You just calculate the amplitude at each point on the screen - it's the sum of the amplitudes through each slit, and the only difference is that the distance from the slits and hence the phase at any given point is different when the screen is tilted. Square the amplitude and you'll have your probability at each point.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Ah, Thank you. :)

Is there an asymmetry in the path without the detector when time reversed - the photon path apparently originating from "empty space for a long distance"?

Or, if the whole apparatus were enclosed within a box, that the path without the detector when time reversed has the photon path emission event located a little too conveniently at just the right place on the inner wall of the box?

These non-detector path time reverse emission events seem kind of fortuitously spontaneous... how are they understood?

bahamagreen said:
Is there an asymmetry in the path without the detector when time reversed - the photon path apparently originating from "empty space for a long distance"?

Or, if the whole apparatus were enclosed within a box, that the path without the detector when time reversed has the photon path emission event located a little too conveniently at just the right place on the inner wall of the box?

These non-detector path time reverse emission events seem kind of fortuitously spontaneous... how are they understood?
What is it you expect from bringing in time reversal ? (The wave equation is first order in time, there is no symmetry to be exploited)

That's of course wrong. As long as the Hamiltonian is time-reversal invariant (a symmetry is always a property of the Hamiltonian in QT), the Schrödinger equation is time-reversal invariant. You must not forget that time-reversal invariance is realized by an anti-unitary operator!

Oops... my bad. I still have a hard time imagining what you can achieve with a time reversal thought experiment in this setup

Well, I can't either...

Likes BvU
I can't tell if my question was answered or deflected, or if you think my question is wrong, or "not even wrong".

1. What is a beam splitter?

A beam splitter is an optical device that splits a beam of light into two or more separate beams, usually at a specific ratio of intensity.

2. How does a beam splitter work?

A beam splitter typically consists of a partially reflective surface that reflects a portion of the incident light and transmits the rest. The reflected and transmitted beams then travel in different directions.

3. What is the purpose of using a beam splitter in experiments involving one photon and one detector?

A beam splitter is used in experiments involving one photon and one detector to split the single photon into two beams and direct them towards two separate detectors. This allows for the measurement of the single photon's properties, such as its polarization or wavelength, without destroying it.

4. Can a beam splitter affect the properties of a single photon?

No, a beam splitter does not affect the properties of a single photon. It only splits the photon into two beams without changing its properties.

5. Are there different types of beam splitters?

Yes, there are various types of beam splitters such as polarizing beam splitters, non-polarizing beam splitters, and cube beam splitters. Each type has different characteristics and is used for specific purposes in experiments and applications.