Beamline for schools (High school particle physics)

In summary, a high school student is seeking resources to help them study modern particle physics in order to participate in the Beamline for Schools competition. They have taken introductory university physics courses and have knowledge of calculus. They are not looking for ideas, but rather resources such as books, online classes, and videos to help them learn the basics of particle physics.
Kevodaboss
Hi everyone! I am a high school student and I was wondering if anyone could provide some materials to help a high schooler study modern particle physics. I am interested in participating in the Beamline for Schools competition, which is where a team of high school students submits a proposal for an experiment that they would like to conduct on an accelerator beamline. (Link: https://beamline-for-schools.web.cern.ch/) The winners get to go to CERN and actually carry out their experiments on a CERN beamline.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am a high school student with little to no knowledge about particle physics. I have taken two semesters of introductory university physics and know calculus, if that would be helpful. Any resources, like books, online classes and videos, etc. that would help me with this would be appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The ideas are supposed to be your own.

Vanadium 50 said:
The ideas are supposed to be your own.
I'm not asking for ideas, just for resources so I can learn some basic particle physics.

1. What is a beamline for schools?

A beamline for schools is a program that gives high school students the opportunity to conduct particle physics experiments at a real research facility. It allows students to learn about and participate in cutting-edge scientific research.

2. How do students get selected for the beamline program?

Students can apply to the beamline program through their school or through an organized group such as a science club. The selection process may vary depending on the specific program, but typically involves a written application and possibly an interview or recommendation letter.

3. What kind of experiments can students do on the beamline?

Students can conduct a variety of experiments related to particle physics, such as measuring the properties of particles, studying the behavior of particles in a magnetic field, or investigating the effects of collisions between particles.

4. Do students need any prior knowledge or experience in particle physics?

No, students do not need any prior knowledge or experience in particle physics to participate in the beamline program. The program is designed to introduce students to the fundamentals of particle physics and provide hands-on experience with the equipment and procedures used in this field of research.

5. What are the benefits of participating in a beamline program?

Participating in a beamline program can provide students with a unique and valuable learning experience, as well as the opportunity to develop skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork. It can also inspire students to pursue a career in science and expose them to potential research opportunities in the future.