Beatles Mono Recording Methods - George Harrison Interview

• Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
In summary, the post discusses how the Beatles recorded mono sound and how it differs from stereo sound. There is a section about how they recorded some of their songs using different methods. There is a bug mentioned that has been causing problems for some people on the forum.
pinball1970
Gold Member
There was a post about mono and how the Beatles recorded.

Interview with George Harrison. Nice little section between 4.20-7.50 on some of the methods they used.

Physics news on Phys.org
pinball1970 said:
oops!

I thought it would be general or music
Did you forget how to do a forum search ? :smile:

phinds said:
Did you forget how to do a forum search ? :smile:
It was the third thing I did
I looked in the lounge, then music then searched “Beatles”

I just searched again and found it- see how far down the list it is though?

Even though there are posts above that do not have “Beatles” in the title?

pinball1970 said:

Even though there are posts above that do not have “Beatles” in the title?
I blame @BillTre for that, with all of the bugs he posts about... :wink:

When you did your search, did you click the check-box to search Titles Only?

• Haha
Likes BillTre, pinball1970 and Wrichik Basu
pinball1970 said:
berkeman said:
When you did your search, did you click the check-box to search Titles Only?
Also, when you did your search you should click the box to sort by date rather than sort by relevance.

Likes pinball1970
anorlunda said:
Also, when you did your search you should click the box to sort by date rather than sort by relevance.
what he said (very small).jpg

That's how I found it quickly.

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
I thought it would be general or music
Where I first went; then figured it ran afoul of some PC glitch in the forum software; then scrolled through the "real" threads rather than "search," hasn't done too well for me lately.

berkeman said:
I blame @BillTre for that, with all of the bugs he posts about... :wink:
Just to be clear, the bug (or insect) beetles are spelled "beetles" while the musical Beatles are spelled "Beatles", with musical reference word "beat" in the name.

Nevertheless, its hard to beat the Beatles, whereas God has an inordinate fondness for beetles.

• Love
Likes Oldman too, dextercioby, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
BillTre said:
Just to be clear, the bug (or insect) beetles are spelled "beetles" while the musical Beatles are spelled "Beatles", with musical reference word "beat" in the name.

Nevertheless, its hard to beat the Beatles, whereas God has an inordinate fondness for beetles.
Stars and Beetles!

Likes Oldman too and BillTre

1. How did the Beatles record their music in mono?

The Beatles recorded their music in mono by using a single microphone to capture all of the instruments and vocals at the same time. This was the standard recording method at the time and allowed for a more cohesive sound.

2. Did the Beatles prefer recording in mono or stereo?

The Beatles originally preferred recording in mono as it was the industry standard at the time and allowed for a more balanced and consistent sound. However, as technology advanced, they began to experiment with stereo recordings and eventually released their albums in both mono and stereo versions.

3. How did the mono recordings differ from the stereo versions?

The mono recordings of the Beatles' music were often the preferred versions as they were mixed and mastered with the band's input and had a more cohesive sound. The stereo versions, on the other hand, were often mixed by the recording engineers without the band's involvement and sometimes had noticeable differences in sound and instrumentation.

4. Did George Harrison have a specific role in the mono recording process?

As the lead guitarist of the Beatles, George Harrison played a crucial role in the mono recording process. He worked closely with the recording engineers to ensure that his guitar parts were captured accurately and blended well with the rest of the instruments in the mono mix.

5. Why did the Beatles continue to release albums in mono even after stereo became popular?

The Beatles continued to release albums in mono even after stereo became popular because they believed that the mono versions were the definitive versions of their music. They also had a greater level of control and involvement in the mono mixes, which they felt best represented their artistic vision.