Blood Donor in Australia Affected Millions

In summary: This is very important work! In summary, James Harrison, a guy in Australia, started donating blood when he was 14 (after he had an operation and required blod transfusions). He has aged out of being acceptable for donating blood at 81 and is considered the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) Australian blood donor with 1,100 donations. It was found out he had an antibody that could be used (in pregnant mothers) to prevent Rh factor based immune attacks on developing fetuses which can result in death or brain damage of the resulting babies. He says: "It's something I can do. It's one of my talents, probably my only talent, is that I can be a blood donor." I hope someone tries
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here is a CNN article about James Harrison, a guy in Australia, who started donating blood when he was 14 (after he had an operation and required blod transfusions).
He has aged out of being acceptable for donating blood at 81. He is considered the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) Australian blood donor with 1,100 donations.
It was found out he had an antibody that could be used (in pregnant mothers) to prevent Rh factor based immune attacks on developing fetuses which can result in death or brain damage of the resulting babies.

It would be nice to have such a positive impact on the world.
he says:
"It's something I can do. It's one of my talents, probably my only talent, is that I can be a blood donor."

I hope someone tries to make some human monoclonal antibodies from him, which would perpetuate the production of the antibody. Making mouse monoclonals requires removing the spleen. I'm not clear on the details of how human monoclonals are made, perhaps they can use peripheral blood and leave the spleen alone.

Likes atyy, berkeman, jim mcnamara and 4 others
Biology news on Phys.org
It is because of people like James Harrison that humanity is still surviving.

Regarding the monoclonal antibodies, we can only hope that someone is researching and will succeed soon.

Last edited:
Likes atyy and sysprog
Wrichik Basu said:
It is because of people like James Harrison that humanity is still surviving.

Regarding the monoclonal antibodies, we can only hope that someone is researching and will succeed soon.

There seems to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rho(D)_immune_globulin.

However, https://www.smh.com.au/healthcare/f...-save-2-4-million-babies-20180511-p4zerp.html states: "Attempts to create a synthetic version has so far failed. The Blood Service recently started a three year research project to harvest Mr Harrison’s DNA and create a library of his monoclonals – the cocktail of antibodies and white blood cells that herald a promising new phase in the Anti-D program."

Likes jim mcnamara, Wrichik Basu and BillTre
Somehow, the thread title registered in my brains as "Infected Millions". :eek:

So good to see that the true story was so much better! Wow, I also hope some long term replication of this can be done.

Likes atyy

1. How many people in Australia are affected by the blood donor scandal?

It is estimated that millions of people in Australia have been affected by the blood donor scandal, which occurred in the 1980s and 1990s.

2. What was the cause of the blood donor scandal in Australia?

The blood donor scandal in Australia was caused by the use of contaminated blood products, specifically from donors who had contracted HIV or hepatitis C.

3. How did the contaminated blood products affect recipients?

The contaminated blood products resulted in many recipients becoming infected with HIV and hepatitis C. This has had a significant impact on their health and well-being.

4. What measures have been taken to prevent a similar scandal from happening again?

Since the blood donor scandal, Australia has implemented strict screening and testing procedures for blood donations. This includes screening for HIV, hepatitis B and C, and other infectious diseases.

5. What support is available for those affected by the blood donor scandal?

The Australian government has provided financial compensation and support for those affected by the blood donor scandal, including access to healthcare and counseling services.

Back