What inspired me to pursue a career in theoretical physics?

theoryboi
How did you find PF?
Google
Hi!

I am a new member of this forum and hope to ask many questions over the coming years. I am currently an undergraduate Physics/Mathematics double major at a state university with hopes of continuing onto a PhD in Mathematical or Theoretical Physics. At the time of posting this, I will have completed my first semester after switching from engineering to physics, so I have probably another 2-3 years of college before I apply to graduate school.

Furthermore, I am determined to prove my intellectual abilities. I happen to be in my mid-twenties, so I have spent years trying different disciplines outside of school and "finding myself" so-to-speak. I used to have little confidence in my own intellectual ability, despite doing relatively well academically until college, so I didn't even consider physics as something that is possible for me until recently. I have ADHD, so information sticks in my head like gas in an open jar. By all medical\psychological records and documentation, I shouldn't have been able to make it this far academically, and yet, somehow, I have.

Moreover, even if physics is highly competitive, I am confident I can make a career in physics. I don't need to solve quantum gravity or anything like that. I just want to be part of current research and satiate my curiosity about how the laws of nature dictate its behavior. Before I discovered physics, I was temped to pursue Mathematics, so that is why I said mathematical or theoretical physics. Unfortunately, the idea of being part of experiments doesn't interest me very much, so theory is for me. Plus, I can't imagine any better job than sitting at a blackboard all day and playing with various equations, operators, and mathematics to gleam any new insight about a research subject. I know there is more to it than that, but no deal breakers that I can think of yet. Of course, plans can always change and I might think differently in a few years, but for now this is my perspective.

Thank you.

Likes DeBangis21 and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

Have fun and stay curious!