Before Big Bang: What Surrounds the Singularity?

• B
  • Thread starter Mohd Abdullah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space and time in relation to the Big Bang theory. It is explained that space and time may not have existed before the Big Bang, as there were no objects or changes to measure. Some suggest that there may have been a void or background present, while others argue that the singularity is simply a breakdown in our understanding of the universe. The possibility of the universe being within a void is also discussed, with one participant arguing that a void can take any shape.
Mohd Abdullah
Hey guys,

It is widely publicized that space and time originated during the Big Bang, but what exactly surrounds this lone hot and dense singularity? Space is the background of something, so I think void (which is just empty space) is already there even "before" the Big Bang event started occurring.

Thoughts?

Space news on Phys.org
It's a common misconception you are operating under: since the universe is everything, there is no void for it to expand into, nor is there a "before".

Likes Lamonte Johnson
russ_watters said:
It's a common misconception you are operating under: since the universe is everything, there is no void for it to expand into, nor is there a "before".

Time is an observed phenomenon, by means of which human beings sense and record changes in the environment and in the universe. There is no humans "before" the Big Bang event started so the term "time" is useless, not to mention there are no changes "before" the singularity started to expand. Space is the distance between objects, once again there are no objects back then "before" Big Bang so the term "space" can't be used. If there is no changes (such as motion, object changing, etc.), then there is no time.

What I mean by void, is the background of something. Let us assume, there is this singularity that will eventually expand and become the nowadays' universe. What "surround" this singularity, I think, is the void.

It's important to understand that the singularity most likely appears because we don't understand physics at the extreme temperature and density of the very early universe, not necessarily because there was an actual singularity. In any case, at t=0 the entirety of the universe exists as a singularity, not a single point.

Drakkith said:
It's important to understand that the singularity most likely appears because we don't understand physics at the extreme temperature and density of the very early universe, not necessarily because there was an actual singularity. In any case, at t=0 the entirety of the universe exists as a singularity, not a single point.

I see. In your opinion, does space originated from the singularity? Space has no shape, unlike object which is something that has shape and must be necessarily finite, same with energy. I define space as the distance between objects. And if there are no objects, it is only void there. Nonexistence. So, I think what "surround" the pre-BB singularity is the void.

Mohd Abdullah said:
Time is an observed phenomenon, by means of which human beings sense and record changes in the environment and in the universe. There is no humans "before" the Big Bang event started so the term "time" is useless...
No, it's not. Just because there were no human constructed clocks available doesn't mean we can't use other processes to tell time.
Space is the distance between objects, once again there are no objects back then "before" Big Bang so the term "space" can't be used. If there is no changes (such as motion, object changing, etc.), then there is no time.
So...I guess we're agreed now: no space or time before the Big Bang.
What I mean by void, is the background of something. Let us assume, there is this singularity that will eventually expand and become the nowadays' universe. What "surround" this singularity, I think, is the void.
Nope. Singularity or not, there is no "void". If there was a void into which everything else is expanding, it would be considered part of the universe.

russ_watters said:
No, it's not. Just because there were no human constructed clocks available doesn't mean we can't use other processes to tell time.

So...I guess we're agreed now: no space or time before the Big Bang.

Nope. Singularity or not, there is no "void". If there was a void into which everything else is expanding, it would be considered part of the universe.

If void is considered to be a part of the Universe, then it is unimaginable or impossible for void to be finite because void is that which has no shape. Only that which has shape is finite, such as the atoms, planets, etc.

What are the other processes that can be done to tell time?

Mohd Abdullah said:
In your opinion, does space originated from the singularity?

No, because the singularity is most likely just a breakdown in our ability to model the universe, not an actual state of existence.

Mohd Abdullah said:
Space has no shape, unlike object which is something that has shape and must be necessarily finite, same with energy. I define space as the distance between objects. And if there are no objects, it is only void there. Nonexistence. So, I think what "surround" the pre-BB singularity is the void.

Current mainstream models do not place the universe within a "void" like you're describing and any such view is logically inconsistent with itself given our current understanding of space, time, and causality.

Drakkith said:
No, because the singularity is most likely just a breakdown in our ability to model the universe, not an actual state of existence.
Current mainstream models do not place the universe within a "void" like you're describing and any such view is logically inconsistent with itself given our current understanding of space, time, and causality.

I agree with your 1st answer.

So, matter is eternal together with energy. I can't imagine that the singularity don't happen in a "place". Can you give your opinions about this? What is space in the context of Big Bang theory?

Mohd Abdullah said:
If void is considered to be a part of the Universe, then it is unimaginable or impossible for void to be finite because void is that which has no shape. Only that which has shape is finite, such as the atoms, planets, etc.
Nonsense. A void can take any shape it or we want. I cup my hands and inside (by volume, to within a fraction of a percent) is a region of totally empty space. A void. How would you tell the difference between that and a section of the "void" you describe?

Also, you haven't said so, but I'm guessing you think the universe is spherical? It isnt.
What are the other processes that can be done to tell time?
Any process that takes a known amount of time can be used to tell time. As you say, motion is one example (that's how the universe is aged). Stellar evolution is another.

Mohd Abdullah said:
So, matter is eternal together with energy.

Matter isn't conserved, unlike energy.

Mohd Abdullah said:
I can't imagine that the singularity don't happen in a "place". Can you give your opinions about this? What is space in the context of Big Bang theory?

The singularity happens everywhere. At all points in space.

In the BBT, space is one part of spacetime, which is a way of modeling the universe that leads to useful predictions. I could tell you what spacetime is in a mathematical sense (I believe it's a certain type of manifold) but there's no real way to describe it accurately using non-mathematical terminology. Many call it a "framework". I suppose that's as accurate as you can get without getting into math.

Mohd Abdullah said:
It is widely publicized that space and time originated during the Big Bang

Please give specific references, and not pop science ones. There are a lot of pop science treatments of this topic that can be confusing or misleading. If you have acceptable references and provide them to me by PM, we can consider reopening the thread. Until then, this thread is closed.

1. What is the "Big Bang" theory and how does it relate to the concept of the singularity?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation of the origin of the universe. According to this theory, the universe began as an infinitely dense and hot singularity, which expanded and cooled over billions of years to form the universe we know today.

2. Is the singularity the same as the beginning of time?

The singularity is often referred to as the beginning of time, as it is the starting point of the universe according to the Big Bang theory. However, it is important to note that the concept of time may not apply in the same way before the Big Bang.

3. What existed before the Big Bang?

According to the Big Bang theory, the universe did not exist before the singularity. This is because time and space as we know it did not exist before the Big Bang. It is currently unknown what, if anything, existed before the singularity.

4. Can we ever know what surrounds the singularity?

The singularity is currently a subject of ongoing scientific research and there are various theories and hypotheses about what may have existed before the Big Bang. However, it is currently impossible to know for certain what surrounds the singularity due to the limitations of our current technology and understanding of the universe.

5. Is there any evidence for the existence of the singularity?

While we cannot directly observe the singularity itself, there is strong evidence for its existence through observations of the expansion and structure of the universe. The Big Bang theory has also been supported by various experiments and observations, further supporting the existence of the singularity.