How Can CERN Solve Modern Physics Problems?

In summary, for a high school student interested in writing a paper on physics for fun, topic suggestions include the history of physics and the machinery used throughout its development, such as Galileo's telescope and modern facilities like CERN. These topics are more accessible and can be researched with relative ease. A specific scientific topic may be too technical for the writer and their audience. Additionally, exploring historical facts and connections can be particularly exciting.
LeonTheLobster
I'm in high school and would like to write a paper on physics for fun, any topic suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
LeonTheLobster said:
I'm in high school and would like to write a paper on physics for fun, any topic suggestions?
I think an essay about the history of physics would be an achievable goal at your age. Another possibility is an essay about the machinery: from Galileo's first telescope to FermiLab or CERN. Those are topics which can be reasonably easy to understand as well as found by some research effort. A specific purely scientific topic will either be too technical for you or your audience. I find especially historical facts and connections extremely exciting.

Likes LeonTheLobster
fresh_42 said:
I think an essay about the history of physics would be an achievable goal at your age. Another possibility is an essay about the machinery: from Galileo's first telescope to FermiLab or CERN. Those are topics which can be reasonably easy to understand as well as found by some research effort. A specific purely scientific topic will either be too technical for you or your audience. I find especially historical facts and connections extremely exciting.
Ah, history, what a great idea. Thanks!

LeonTheLobster said:
Ah, history, what a great idea. Thanks!
A promising one is the methods in which CERN might be able to crack some of the problems in physics.

However, history seems like a solid idea.

Likes LeonTheLobster

What are some beginner-friendly topics for a physics paper?

Some beginner-friendly topics for a physics paper include the basics of motion, forces, energy, and waves. These are fundamental concepts in physics that can be easily understood and explored by individuals with no prior knowledge of the subject.

How can I make my physics paper more interesting?

To make your physics paper more interesting, consider choosing a topic that you are passionate about or one that has real-world applications. You can also include visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to help illustrate your points and make your paper more engaging.

What are some tips for writing a successful physics paper?

Some tips for writing a successful physics paper include thoroughly researching your topic, organizing your thoughts and ideas, using clear and concise language, and providing evidence to support your arguments. It is also important to proofread your paper for any errors or inconsistencies.

Can I conduct experiments for my physics paper as a beginner?

Yes, you can conduct simple experiments for your physics paper as a beginner. However, make sure to follow safety protocols and seek guidance from a teacher or experienced physicist before conducting any experiments. You can also use simulations or virtual experiments if you do not have access to proper equipment.

How can I incorporate math into my physics paper as a beginner?

If you are a beginner, it is best to stick to basic mathematical concepts such as algebra and geometry while writing a physics paper. You can use equations to explain and support your ideas, but make sure to provide explanations for each step to make it easier for readers to understand. Additionally, you can consult with a math or physics tutor for assistance if needed.