Beginner's Guide to Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter engnr_arsalan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noob
In summary: This is a website that discusses quantum mechanics. It seems like you're interested in starting to learn more about quantum mechanics, which is definitely a good thing. However, you'll need to be prepared for a lot of work. If you're interested in learning more, I suggest you start with a book like Foundations of Modern Physics by Paul Tipler.
engnr_arsalan
hello every one,i m an engineering students..these days,after reading about Mr.Heisenberg,i m really intrusted in quantum mechanics and its physics..i want to start from very basics..can anyone please guide me..

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you've just read some pop-sci book on quantum physics and that this interested you. You have to realize that actual physics is very different than pop-sci books. It requires a lot of work and a lot of people think it is boring. If you start learning physics, then you must realize that it is very plausible that you will just stop after a while because it is too boring or because it requires too much work. Although, maybe you will actually like the mathematics and the physics, who knows??

I'm sure many people here are willing to guide you. But first you'll need to tell us what knowledge you have of mathematics and physics?? Which formal physics classes did you take in HS or university? What kind of mathematics do you know?

well..how should i put it..i m in final year of mechanical engineering..i have studied subjects like ordinary differential equations, advance calculus and linear algebra,advance mathematical techniques etc..and one knows that engineering without knowledge of physics is impossible..

Quantum physics *is* very interesting, but it is also very hard. You can go very far in mechanical engineering just knowing classical physics.

Even in my field, integrated circuits, classical physics is that I mostly use. For the quantum stuff, you generally just learn the results.

When I was in school we used Foundations of Modern Physics by Paul Tipler, and I found it very enjoyable introduction to quantum mech. I don't know if it is still in print or what others think of it. But if you want to start at the beginning I think you need a book like that one.

thanks gmax..

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles on a subatomic level, such as atoms, electrons, and photons.

Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics has led to many groundbreaking discoveries and technologies, including transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

What are the key principles of quantum mechanics?

The key principles of quantum mechanics include superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty. Superposition states that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, entanglement states that particles can be connected and influence each other regardless of distance, and uncertainty states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.

How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion and describes the behavior of larger, visible objects. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, describes the behavior of particles on a subatomic level and follows different principles, such as superposition and uncertainty.

What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has applications in various fields, including computing, cryptography, and telecommunications. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing new materials, such as superconductors and semiconductors.